• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Presidential Dollar Coins: Varieties

15 posts in this topic

I will be adding me Presidential Dollars to my database, but noticed there are lots of varieties. I know what a couple mean, but not all. Please help so I can add the correct variety to my database.

Thank you in advance.

2007-P Washington

2007-P Washington Pos. A

2007-P Washington Pos. B

2007-P Washington FDI

2007-P Washington FDI Pos. A

2007-P Washington FDI Pos. B

2007-D Washington

2007-D Washington Pos. A

2007-D Washington Pos. B

2007-D Weak Edge Let. Pos. A Washington 1st Day of Issue

2007-P Weak Edge Lettering Washington - Position B

2007-D Weak Edge Let. Pos. B Washington 1st Day of Issue

2007-D Washington FDI Pos. A

2007-D Washington FDI

2007-D Washington Pos. B

2007 Washington Missing Edge

2007 Washington Missing Edge FDI

I know that -P and -D are the Mints where they were produced.

I know Pos A and Pos B designate which direction the wording on the rim is facing.

But what is FDI?

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that "Position A" and "Position B" are no longer being used. Since all of the coins are fed into the edge lettering machinery on a random basis, i.e. obverse or reverse up, it was a little ridiculous that these terms were being used in the first place.

Chris

There is also "Partial Edge Lettering". This can be found on the Washington Dollar, for sure, because I have one certified by NGC, but I don't know if it is found on any others.

Chris

There is also "Partial Edge Lettering Missing". This can be found on the Washington Dollar, for sure, because I have one certified by NGC, but I don't know if it is found on any others.

Chris

It is, but not on any label as those that were, have been determined to be PMD.

There is also "Partial Edge Lettering". This can be found on the Washington Dollar, for sure, because I have one certified by NGC, but I don't know if it is found on any others.

Chris

It is, but not on any label as those that were, have been determined to be PMD.

Not true! I got mine in a roll direct from the Mint, and it is noted as (CORRECTION!) "Partial Edge Lettering" on the NGC insert.

Chris

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that "Position A" and "Position B" are no longer being used. Since all of the coins are fed into the edge lettering machinery on a random basis, i.e. obverse or reverse up, it was a little ridiculous that these terms were being used in the first place.

Chris

Position A and Position B are still being used ATS, but not at NGC. NGC has never differentiated the orientation of the letter incusing on the Presidential Dollars (2007-present) or the Native American Dollars (2009-present). As you stated, this designation makes little sense as the edges of the dollars are randomly fed into the machine for edge letter incusing. BUT, it IS a huge money maker ATS and both the Position A and Position B coins are required in all of the Full Registry Sets.

On the contrary, the Proof Coins are NOT fed into the machines randomly to receive edge lettering, but rather I believe the edge lettering is completed at the same time as the proof striking. Thus, you will not find any mention of the "Position" of the edge lettering, and there has also (to my knowledge) never been a "Missing Edge Lettering" Proof dollar reported without edge lettering. I can't remember exactly, but I think all proofs are supposed to get the Position B edge lettering (the text is readable when the coin is face up).

I hope that helps clarify the "Position" story.

On the contrary, the Proof Coins are NOT fed into the machines randomly to receive edge lettering, but rather I believe the edge lettering is completed at the same time as the proof striking. Thus, you will not find any mention of the "Position" of the edge lettering, and there has also (to my knowledge) never been a "Missing Edge Lettering" Proof dollar reported without edge lettering. I can't remember exactly, but I think all proofs are supposed to get the Position B edge lettering (the text is readable when the coin is face up).

Correct, but there is an error that occurred on some of the first year proofs, Jefferson I believe, where the edge segments were put in the press out of order. The edge reads 2007 S IN GOD WE TRUST E PLURIBUS UNUM. Instead of 2007 S E PLURIBUS UNUM IN GOD WE TRUST.. After they were discovered changes were made to the edge dies so they couldn't be put in the press in the wrong order. I think it is a much more interesting error, but no one ever paid much attention to it

Brandon,

It's probably just my old age playing tricks on me, but I could swear that someone posted within the last month or so on another site that PCGS was no longer assigning the "A or B" thingy. Is there any way you can confirm this for me? I don't want to be citing incorrect information.

Thanks!

Chris

Hi Chris,

As best I can tell, they are still doing it. There are several 2011 Presidential dollars released with the PosA vs. PosB noted on the holders.

Example: Ebay Auction with all 2011 varieties

Also, the full Registry Set on the PCGS site is still including the edge varieties.

PCGS Registry Set Example

It is possible that it is a VERY RECENT change to stop the edge orientation nonsense, but as best I can tell it's still happening.

Can you link to the topic ATS (if you can find it)?

Chris

Not in my opinion Chris since the designation came out after folks had been scammed on eBay with "Upside Down" edge lettering error coins.

It got to a point where some really foolish (notice I didn't say stupid?) money was being spent for these "so called" error's. eBay even put an automatic "delete" on any listings that used the term "upside down edge lettering".

But, as I always say, whatever.

Since NGC doesn;t use Position A or Position B, I'm wondering where the OP got his lst from? Is it from coins he's already purchased?

Since NGC doesn't use Position A or Position B, I'm wondering where the OP got his lst from? Is it from coins he's already purchased?
The original website I got the information from was from Best Coin. The Pos A and Pos B are also options in my Liberty Street CoinManage 2011 database.

Can you link to the topic ATS (if you can find it)?

I wish I could. Old age $uck$! I'm going to have to start writing myself notes to remind me where I put the notes to remind me where the links are.

Chris