• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Why Is History Important

8 posts in this topic

For me, I enjoy researching the history of a coin or a series of coins. The grade on a coin is really immaterial to me. I've found some super coins that the holder said was in fine condition. Oh well, a pleasure for me to add to my collection at the right price. :) I have learned to be a patient collector over the years. I am definately not a "Registry/Slab Grade" collector, though I used to be. Due to this, I am having much more fun as a collector.

One thing that is lost to many is the details behind the issue of a coin. there are many stores behind every coin that one may decide to collect. Why not take some time and do some research behind those stories? Wouldn't that add some enjoyment to you and how you feel about the coin? Why not give it a shot. :)

As I've done research on the Classic Commem series I've found that the designers of the coins were just as important as the coin itself. The Commission of Fine Arts, as well as some of the Committee's responsible for the issue, made the final decision on who would design each coin. The CFA had to approve the designs, and designer, before submitting the models to the U.S. Mint.

Let me get off my soapbox by saying: take the time to truly know your coins. :)

Enjoy,

A piece that I just sold:

1875twcobvmNGC.jpg

1875twcrevmNGC.jpg

The History:

The Twenty Cent piece was first proposed by Thomas Jefferson in 1783 to be part of our decimal system of coinage, the idea was abandoned in favor of the quarter dollar during deliberations for the Mint Act of 1792. The quarter more closely approximated the “two-bits” of the Spanish eight-reales pieces then in widespread use. Proposed again in 1806, the denomination faced little opposition itself, but the legislation was defeated for reasons having to do with other parts of the bill.

In February of 1874 Nevada Senator John Percival Jones, having somewhat dubious motives, introduced a bill to make the denomination a reality. The Senator claimed to believe that this coin, one that the Carson City Mint could produce, would solve the problem of the shortage of small change, particularly in the West.

Obviously, producing cents and nickels at the western mints would have been the best solution, but for some reason this option was ignored. Apparently, with Senator Jones’ influence, consideration was given to the owners of the Comstock Lode silver mines, who had lost much of the demand for their output because of the 1873 Mint Act. Possibly for similar reasons, Mint Director Henry Linderman supported the bill, and Congress went along. Unquestionably a political answer to the problem, the bill was signed into law by President Grant on March 3, 1875.

Linderman, a collector of pattern coins himself, ordered Philadelphia Mint Superintendent James Pollock to obtain designs and submit patterns for approval. The first designs resembled the quarter dollar too closely, so several other versions were submitted. Treasury Department policy, however, favored complete uniformity of design within a series of coins of the same metal, so the final design approved by Linderman ended up being the most similar to the quarter and therefore most confusing to the public.

The obverse of the new coin bore Chief Engraver William Barber’s low relief copy of the old Sully-Gobrecht-Hughes design, featuring Liberty seated on a rock, holding a staff topped with a Liberty cap. She is surrounded by thirteen stars, with the date below. The reverse bears Barber’s eagle from the Trade dollar, with the inscriptions UNITED STATES OF AMERICA and TWENTY CENTS around the periphery. The coin was made with a plain edge, supposedly to make it easier for the illiterate to distinguish it from the quarter.

Produced for only a four year period, only eight different date-and-mint combinations were made. The majority having the "S" mintmark. The 1875 P Mint coin has a very low mintage of only 39,700 pieces.

I had a major fascination with the Twenty Cent Piece during the mid 1960s when I was in junior high and high school. I eventually acquired the four collectable business strike issues, but was, of course, stopped cold by the Proof only 1877 and 1878 pieces. I didn’t keep these four coins because the 1876 had a major problem; the 1875 was lightly cleaned; the 1875-S was only a VF (now probably an EF) and the 1875-CC was and AU, but poorly struck on the reverse.

I purchased this 1878 Twenty Cent Piece at the recent summer FUN auction as an upgrade to my type set. It is a very high end PR-64. It has regenerated my interest in the series. I’ll never own an 1876-CC despite the fact that I found a wonderful example at Baltimore coin show for “only” half a million dollars, but I might get the other four to complete the set.

BTW, I’m surprised that you sold that 1875 double dime if you don’t have another one. That is a rather nice example.

187820CentsO.jpg

187820CentsR.jpg

LeeG,

You're the majority of the reason I am constructing my commem post. I enjoy reading old posts you've made over ATS and look forward to reading as many more as you produce here.

Nick

Thanks guy's. I hated to sell the coin because it is very nice. My Mothers 75th Birthday is coming up the end of the month and I needed some funds to make the trip.

I had a major fascination with the Twenty Cent Piece during the mid 1960s when I was in junior high and high school. I eventually acquired the four collectable business strike issues, but was, of course, stopped cold by the Proof only 1877 and 1878 pieces. I didn’t keep these four coins because the 1876 had a major problem; the 1875 was lightly cleaned; the 1875-S was only a VF (now probably an EF) and the 1875-CC was and AU, but poorly struck on the reverse.

I purchased this 1878 Twenty Cent Piece at the recent summer FUN auction as an upgrade to my type set. It is a very high end PR-64. It has regenerated my interest in the series. I’ll never own an 1876-CC despite the fact that I found a wonderful example at Baltimore coin show for “only” half a million dollars, but I might get the other four to complete the set.

BTW, I’m surprised that you sold that 1875 double dime if you don’t have another one. That is a rather nice example.

187820CentsO.jpg

187820CentsR.jpg

A few years back I was tempted to bid of an 1877 in AU to add to my circulated 20 cent piece collection. It went for a price I thought too high for the grade, so I reasoned that it probably was only a mishandled proof instead of one that actually served a short time in the channels of commerce. :blush:

Thanks guy's. I hated to sell the coin because it is very nice. My Mothers 75th Birthday is coming up the end of the month and I needed some funds to make the trip.

That to me is the most important aspect of history... living in the present. I congratulate you on selling the coin so that you can see your mom. One day she'll be gone, and it will be MUCH more important to have the memories of being with her than of having even a nice coin.

As to history, I LOVE it. It is SO fascinating. The stories are great. One of the things I most enjoy about coins is the concept of holding history in your hands, which is one of the reasons I've been buying more and more space memorabilia lately. I think it is fun to think about who might have held a given coin in their hands. I'll hopefully be posting a coin in three days that I KNOW who held it in their hands.