• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Should I send my 5 Ounce ATB's in for grading?

6 posts in this topic

I love the look of Numismatic 5oz ATB's from the Mints. Do I send them out and hope for 70's or not.

I just stated to collect coins. I have four of five 2010 Numismatic collectible US Mint American the Beautiful Five Ounce Silver Uncalculated Coins and One PCGS MS64 2010 US Mint Hot Springs Five Ounce Silver. My numismatic five ounce ATB coins in their mint boxes look so nice on my shelf. My thought is should I send them in to NGC to be graded and chance getting lower grade? I do not like putting these beautiful coins in a coin slab. I already have one in a slab and not my favorite looking slab. I am only getting the 2010 series and not the rest of the series. Looking for any feed back on this.

9071.jpg

See more journals by DVD Home Studios

There are currently no MS-70 ATB 5 oz coins in NGC's population report and I do not believe there ever will. You would have better luck with either MSPL or MSDPL, but the chances of either those two designations is slim at best. I personally don't like coins this large in holders, they just have a bulky oversized look to them that distracts from the coin and to the holder. If you do not have any competing sets and don't like the holders, I wouldn't place them in holders. The ATB's are beautiful as stand alone coins. Your coins look especially nice with silver against a black backdrop. If either PCGS or NGC had black holders for these, I would consider getting them graded. You're right, they do look nice on your shelf.

Gary

First, the 5oz'ers from the mint don't grade MS, they are specimen/matte proof finish coins, and they grade SP. There are many graded SP70 (as all of my specimen coins are so far). The bullion, or MS, versions were all shipped from individual authorized resellers. Those are the "shiny" ones. And yes, MS69 is the highest grade given on those, as they were packaged in tubes and show slight wear.

Second, I also agree they look good against the mint's black packaging, but I prefer to keep my coins in the registry sets, so mine are graded... but they don't that bad in the NGC holders. =)

5ozATB.jpg