• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

FINALLY... Complete Set of Lincoln Wheats in Mint State (minus the 1922 No D strong Rev...) posted by Joshua Murphy

10 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

Completing Lincoln Wheats in Mint State, a long road finished!!!!

I've finally accomplished one goal, I was able to complete a Mint Set of Lincoln Wheats. What's funny about it is that the Key Dates were actually much easier to obtain, for a significant price, than some of the more common dates, specifically the 1920's San Francisco Mints. The last hold out I had was a 1926-S, which I happily over paid for on Heritage during the last Auction. I think I ended up paying about $340, which is about $120 over Numismedia price... But I challenge anyone to find one that's i n Mint state and less than $1500, no easy to say the least. The 1923-S is also a pesky one to find. The 1935-S and and 1925-S can be some what of a challenge as well to find at a reasonable price in mint state.

The impossible 1922 No D is a dilema I've leave for another day or decade at that. I'd like to pick up one in Mint State, but the lowest I've seen them go for with the Strong Reverse is around $15,000, which is a little more than I'm willing to part with at this point. I've seen the Weak Reverse version for around $4,500, shich makes it a little easier to swallow, but definately a less desireable coin. What's funny though is on the registry, they score the same points. Maybe an XF will be in ther near future as an upgrade, I think you can score one in the $2000 range give or take depending on the day of the week.

What's next.... In my quest I've been creaping up the registry ranks, currently holding the 20th position, and I think as of now, one of only about a handful of people to have a 100% complete set. I started picking of the MS67 Reds here and there. The 1948 is a challenge as well as a couple of the P mint 1950's. it's really tough to pay $1000+ for a 1950's P mint that's a MS67 Red when you know there are still plenty of Mint rolls floating out there, so the POP could jump and price could drop. There's also a major descrepency between the top 15 in the registry and the rest, probably $50,000 to $250,000 in set value alone, so right now my goal is to take them one at a time up to maybe the 16th spot, but we'll see. I'm focusingon investing my upgrade money in dollar to registry point value.

See more journals by Joshua Murphy

Any time you finish a set it is quite an accomplishment. Congratulations...

PS: I have 1 set that I finished 2 years ago and I've been adding new coins with upgrading every since.. :pullhair:

Awesome! I can't wait to finish a set - even a minor set like a mint set has eluded me up to this point. Mostly because I can't stick to one thing... doh!

Hopefully, some day soon I'll be able to say the same thing about my Roosevelt Dimes.

sig.jpg

sig.jpg

I've found, and your comments confirm, that finishing a set only leads to the almost irresistable desire to upgrade the aforementioned completed set.

This Hobby is Addictive!!!

I've finally accomplished one goal, I was able to complete a Mint Set of Lincoln Wheats.
Congratulations on your accomplishment. I am new to the coin collecting world, so seeing something like this amazes me!

I can't stick to one thing...
That's my problem right now. I might try and focus on Indian Head Cents for now (of any condition).

This Hobby is Addictive!!!
Very true!

I started out that way, Not really sure what to focus on. You may want to try a type set in addition to the indians. A type set is nice because you can see a little bit of everything and see how the coins changed over time. Minus a couple of key dates (all quarters, and gold) I've pretty much completed everything in the 20th century, but as I collect more high end, Top Pop coins, I'm shifting toward concentrating soley on Cents.

I know, I wish I would have concentrated on MS67's from the begining, now I'm sitting on $7,000 plus in coins that I've upgraded that I'm trying to sell. If anyone's interested, I have my inventory/price sheet listed at www.continentalcoincompany.com