• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Grade Drop for a Lite Cleaning ?

4 posts in this topic

Hi , If I would start off with a Ms65 Grade coin on One Side , but the Other Side of the coin has sign's of a lite cleaning ( Scratches/Hairline's ) But Only In the Fields and not on the face or hair can you give a rough idea of how much that would drop the grade if the whole coin started as a very well struck ms65 .

The coin is a 1921 Peace dollar just for the record .

Thanks in Advance !!!

PS. I Know Its Very hard to say without seeing the coin , but i'm just trying to get a Very , Very Rough Idea of how many grade's I will lose .

Thanks Again .

RAK,

If you have a coin that is an otherwise MS-65 obverse coupled with a light, yet noticeable cleaning on the reverse, the grade will tend to be no higher than an MS-64. This of course is dependent upon the cleaning not being too severe in nature, ie harsh hairlines, chemically impaired. With the kind of coin you describe, there does come a point if the cleaning is too harsh on the reverse that the coin must be no-graded, for if it was, the grade rendered may not make sense in the marketplace.

Happy holidays.

Rick

Thanks for your reply rick , the scratches are very minuet and takes a lense to even see them .

I took the coin to anacs for a verbal opinion and They came to the conclusion that the Obv was a 64 If the scratches were not on the fields and Rev 65 as Is .

But as It was = A net grade of AU55

Is it me or does that seem a bit to extreme of a grade loss ???

Rak,

I would say that a grade of AU-55 is a bit extreme if the coin is truly an MS-64 quality coin. At this point, I would recommend that you have the coin inspected so that you can know exactly what our service would deem the coin. Keep in mind that factors certainly can reduce the grade of a coin, but you generally won't find coins dropping from Uncirculated grades to those of AU due only to hairlining.

Rick