• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A curious coin

3 posts in this topic

1954 Toned Quarter

I know it's not a particularly rare quarter, and the grade is not hard to find, but something about this little coin just drew me in.

Firstly, I had recently read the very interesting full thread on the Chat Boards regarding the history of the different types of NGC Slabs and labels. So, I knew this coin had a slab that was very short lived and was wildly unpopular, likely because of the microscopic registration number moved to the bottom of the label.

Secondly, I don't know the full history of when NGC started and subsequently stopped including the letters "T" for toned and "W" for white on their labels, but this has always been a bit of a curiosity for me. This particular quarter is heavily toned, mostly very dark and actually black in some places. Thus, the grade on the label was noted as "MS65 T".

The curiosity of the short-lived label/slab style together with the "T" grade, and I couldn't pass this one up for the less than $20 it cost to snag.

I hope everyone is having a good weekend so far. All the best if you have any lots you're bidding on in the Heritage Auction. I was the winning bidder on two lots in yesterdays July 2011 FUN auction, and I can't wait to get them both in hand. I'll save the journal entry for those until that time.

Cheers!

-Brandon

9039.jpg

See more journals by brg5658