• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Color and Classic Commemoratives

34 posts in this topic

"Monster," whatever that means (Color???), brings strong prices in this series. I've been a little guilty myself but not to ridiculous levels. Just look at the prices realized at Heritage Summer Fun with Commems with color. Nothing really wrong with this, till it's time to sell. I learned my lesson when I sold my Lincoln Cent Collection. Very few who spend the big money on color will get there money back. Just my opionion based on my experiences.

For those with money, it doesn't really matter. But. for me with shallow pockets, I am now very careful when I purchase coins with color. I will pay up for the right examples though.

As an example:

14003455_obv.jpg

Pinnacle_Wisconisn_Obv3_Combo.jpg

When you want to play the color game, CAC is important. I just got the results for the two coins above and both passed which is what I expected. The coins in hand never gave me pause to think they weren't original. It is difficult to find an Alabma 2X2 with color though so I was a little worried but not overly so on this piece. Any time you send a coin in that if different that what is normally seen, you just never know.

The Bottom Line:

Do not overpay for coins with color!!!!

Enjoy :)

On the 2X2 the color in the fields is different from the color on the nearby devices so that is an NT marker for me. Examples:

1) The forearm holding the axe and the axe itself are a different color above and below it in the fields.

2) The date has a different color in the fields inside the numbers.

etc.

To me that is a good sign it is NT. IMO.

jom

The problem with so called "Monster" color coins is that you end up paying what I call the double bump. First, the TPG market grades these with a point or two bump and then the dealer wants a premium for the color that was already considered in the market grade.

Commems with pleasing color are out there without the large premiums. Sure, you can't expect to acquire all of them at sheet, but they are available within reason. But you will have to find them yourself. Dealers who specialize in colorful commems usually list at outrageous premiums.

The problem with so called "Monster" color coins is that you end up paying what I call the double bump. First, the TPG market grades these with a point or two bump and then the dealer wants a premium for the color that was already considered in the market grade.

Commems with pleasing color are out there without the large premiums. Sure, you can't expect to acquire all of them at sheet, but they are available within reason. But you will have to find them yourself. Dealers who specialize in colorful commems usually list at outrageous premiums.

(thumbs u

Not a big color freak, myself. I liken color on coins to make-up on women. If the coin has a nice design, a little bit of color in the right places can really enhance it, while too much distracts from it. On the other hand, no amount of color will help the Special Olympics dollar.

Speaking of color and commems, I received these images from a client today - they are duplicates from his tarnished collection. ;)

commemAlbany.jpg

commem1946sBTW.jpg

commemLincoln.jpg

commemRobinson.jpg

commemVancouver.jpg

commemWisconsin.jpg

Wow Mark, when do those go up on consignment!
I'm not certain, but even if I were, I wouldn't post it here, so as to avoid spam.

Mark those coins are hideous and should be thousands of miles from you so as not to infect the rest of your inventory. Send them to me in NZ and I will dispose of them. I will even pay the shipping (thumbs u

There is no Santa Claus in monster toned commems in higher grades. You will have to pay to play.........MJ

I become reticent when a generally inexpensive coin has color and becomes a very expensive coin. This is the case with commems, and a number of other issues, and part of the reason I steer clear of the series.

I become reticent when a generally inexpensive coin has color and becomes a very expensive coin. This is the case with commems, and a number of other issues, and part of the reason I steer clear of the series.
Mike, I generally feel the same way, though occasionally make exceptions.

What I especially do like to buy/handle, though, are coins with attractive (not monster) color, which stand out from most of the rest of the crowd, but which can still be had for modest/reasonable premiums. In fact, that is usually my main focus and I am very comfortable with that.

Of course there are exceptions to every rule.

To give credit where credit is due, it was your buying pattern as a dealer in toners that led, in large part, to my own buying pattern as a collector.

So it is no coincidence our views are congruent on this topic, and thank you for what was a superb education in the "right" place to play the toner game -- which you may or may not have realized before this conversation.

Alright, I'll say it. Jobessi, your Texas is great and Mark, that Albany is top notch. Has a lot of personality.

And I'll give a sneak peek of my newest Commem w/ photo taken with my desk lamp and phone. It will make # 5 in my series.

grant.jpg

Some stellar monsters and near monsters in this thread.............Love it. MJ

A Delaware I recently picked up from Mark: (thumbs u

commemDelawarengc65.jpg

"A lovely tab-toned representative, as is evidenced most notably by the toning pattern on the reverse."