• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1830 half dollar error(identified as a 0-110a)

35 posts in this topic

Let me add a few things here...... first of all, coinzip is not at all like vamworld......

Overton varieties are not at all like vams...... CBH varieties are based on die pairings (always)..... vams are based on die pairings (sometimes), the rest of the time, they are based on similarities between dies...... There are many vams that are made up of multiple dies, and a good many vammers are oblivious to that fact, despite the vam pages spelling it out for them...... this is not to say that there are not problems with the descriptions of CBH as well though, and this is a good example of that.

The crack along stars 4 to 7 does not actually 'connect' these stars, and it is not absent on all 0-110 either.......... the crack did not suddenly occur..... it grew gradually...... the die rust ('die pitting' as vammers would call it), is also IN THE DIE, just like the crack, but the rust occurred abruptly, and is the dividing line between these two die states..... it is the defining characteristic of O-110a and is visible on all 0-110a that are of high enough grade to see it....... if the specimen is of lower grade, neither the die rust or the crack may be visible..... any specimen of grade AU or better will show the die rust, and if it isn't there, it isn't O-110a, and that's a fact.

I wasn't calling you out. GOOOOOOSSSSEEE-FRAAABAAHHHH! Just regurgitating what I was told. I'm sending it to NGC on monday, I'll let you know the results.

Yes, I know JOBESSI....... You have my apology for my airing personal disdain toward the culminated hodgepodge of nonsense in what could and should be a truly wonderful hobby of collecting these silver dollars...... I would not normally even read any topic that has to do with vams...... Once again, I am sorry for what you obviously considered personal comments toward you..... I assure you, it was not meant to be so.

Yeah Dave...... truly awesome testimony to strike doubling at its finest....... I like them all very much... (kinda hurts my eyes to look at them too long though..... I'll send you my optometry bills)... ;)