• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NOW THIS IS JUST TAUNTING!!! posted by DM Merrill Associates, Inc.

4 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

Again, I'm Underbidder: Again, the Coin Pops Up...

This time in a dealer's on-line inventory.

On June 2, 2011, I bid on an 1844-O Half Dime PCGS/CAC. I engaged a trusted dealer who viewed the coin in-hand. After his "thumbs up", we set our bidding limit. I placed my max bid and waited. I was outbid by one increment.

I accepted my fate, since in this instance, I'd bid the max determined by my advisor and me. That's the way it goes.

So today, I was flipping through the website of a dealer with whom I do business from time to time, and there it is, my AUCTION TARGET!

THIS IS DEJAVU!!

This just happened to me on Saturday when looking at another's registry set.

Come on now, THIS IS JUST TAUNTING!!!

See more journals by DM Merrill Associates, Inc.

It is now nearly 13 months since I found my lost prize sitting in the dealer's inventory. It is still there today!!! - priced at the bidder's one bid increment plus a healthy allowance for profit. I'm now feeling a lot better that my estimate of market value was accurate; or at least more accurate than the winning bidder's!

But you did the smart thing and bid no more than you thought the coin was truly worth. All of us overbid once in a while but it is a trend that can only lead to disappointment when our overspending makes it impossible to pick up that bargain we run across.

Later,

Malcolm