• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How much is a scratch too much for grading?

12 posts in this topic

I have this 1882 Morgan Proof I purchased some years ago. It is a nice coin and I was thinking about sending it in for grading, but there is a faint scratch that runs parallel across the middle of the cheek. It is very difficult to see. You really have to tilt it at a perfect angle to see it. I think that it would probably come back as a scratch. I wish I could post a proper picture of it at the right angle, but so far no luck.

Generally, is there a standard for determining what constitutes a scratch? Or, if seen, is a scratch a scratch irrespective of how it appears?

I knew it had the scratch when I bought it at a local sale some time ago. I think I paid a fair price for it, knowing the scratch was there. It simply is a nice looking proof. I will post a pic and try to get the scratch one more time.

If it is as noticeable as it appears, I would say there is an 80% chance that the coin will be returned in a details holder; however, as always, unexpected outcomes do happen.

Are hairlines fairly common on 19th century proofs?

Yes, but I thought collector's stopped cleaning their proof coins and started to treat them better before the Morgan Dollar series. I haven't seen too many proof Morgan Dollars in graded holders with significant hairlines (although in fairness, I've only seen a dozen or so in hand).

At best, it looks like you'll get a rather low proof grade. The scratch looks to run more or less the same direction as the rest of the hairlines.

I haven't seen too many proof Morgan Dollars in graded holders with significant hairlines (although in fairness, I've only seen a dozen or so in hand).

My guess is that MOST proof Morgan dollars do have significant hairlines, certified or not. That is why so very many only grade PF-62 - 64.

The subject coin could possibly fail certification, based on the images shown.