• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Error experts-HOW COULD THIS HAPPEN?

7 posts in this topic

Byers ,a well known error collector states, Reverse double struck ,than another planchet was fed and struck the obverse.Maybe because of the first coin being in the collar the second planched being fed could not seat.Im just guessing.

But sure is a cool error.

Al

I thought about that explanation, but cannot quite see that happening. If one coin planchet is not in the collar while on top of another planchet, the collar cannot close properly and, when struck, would leave the coin with a cut or squashed rim. Meanwhile, the underlying planchet would be cut off or severely distorted. In addition, the location of the reverse doubled eagle is merely 15% offcenter, while the actual impression on the obverse appears 40-50% offcenter. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

TRUTH

The thing I can't figure out about this coin is why it is still round. It appears that the obverse was flattened by a blank planchet. The reverse was double struck, but how did the double strike get shifted if the coin was still held by the collar? It would be easy to explain if the coin was out of the collar, but if it were out of the collar the coin would be oval shaped, not round.

So what happened? Did the second strike knock the collar out of kilter with the reverse die? If it did, it really did a job on the coin press. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

BTW, I know this coin is unique, but the "Buy it now" price of $60K is outragious IMO.