• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Skinny on Contact Marks

9 posts in this topic

Hi,

I've come across this 1918 Lincoln Commerative Half. It is a brillant and lusterous coin with nice eye appeal. However there is a small series of contact marks in a fine line just underneath the ILLINOIS on the obverse.

This mark is visible to the naked eye. The reverse is blemish free.

I'd like some comments as to how this contact mark might affect the grading of this otherwise very attractive coin. Thanks in advance!

Linc.jpg

Common reed marks like that should probably lower the grade by one point. Sometimes, reed marks are small, or inconspicuous (perhaps on the reverse, or next to the rim), and may not affect the grade.

The reed mark will most likely knock it down a grade, but the obv is in great shape. I'd say MS64, even with the reed mark (Grading just the obv of course)

If the reverse is blemish free with strong luster (i.e. a 65), then MS64 would be the overall grade. If the reverse is not gem, then MS63 overall.

MS-64

Reed marks are somewhat common, lowering it a grade. A pic of the rev. would be helpful.