• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Trying something new with registry images...

6 posts in this topic

...or at least I think it’s new, apologies to anyone who may have beat me to the punch.

This past week I reimaged my entire collection and I’ve been framing my new coin pictures so they are all accurate in size, relative to all the other coins in my collection. Meaning the quarters are larger than the nickels, which are slightly larger than the dimes, etc.

When I come across an image of someone else's coin in the registry that I’m not familiar with (which happens a lot), because there is no point of reference, I have no idea what size that coin actually is. A large cent, for instance, is it really large, or just, slightly bigger than a small cent?

But when someone views one of my galleries or (preferably) a slideshow of a set, they will see the coin sizes all accurately portrayed relative to every other coin in my collection.

The best example of this is in my (just started) US Coins, First Year of Issue, Type Set:

http://coins.www.collectors-society.com/WCM/CoinCustomSetSlideShow.aspx?s=6315

new-registry-images.jpg

Look at that monster Ike next to the petite Anthony dollar.

I’ve exchanged PMs with one other board member who said he wished there was more of the imaged coin on some of the smaller pieces, but given the file size restrictions, and the large size of silver dollars, I had to keep the smaller pieces... small.

But even with the smaller file size, I’ve paid very close attention to detail. All of the images are pixel perfect in their size and alignment, so as you view a slideshow of a set, the coins won’t bounce around in size or position, they will simply seamlessly fade from one piece to the next. The graphic design nerd in me is grinning like an insufficiently_thoughtful_person right now.

Anyway, just wanted to share. =)

Looks like a nice presentation. I always resize my images to 750x750, and then change the resolution/quality until they fit the size requirement. I like having everything the same dimensions.

I see your point about judging the sizes of unfamiliar coins.

But in a registry of US Coins, all of us are going to be familiar with the sizes. I prefer the clarity of the larger images that show more of what's going on with the coin.

But they are beautiful pictures.

If you don't mind, I wonder what your imaging setup is.

I use a Canon 7D with a Canon Macro EF-S 60mm lens.

I use two desk lamps with 60 watt GE Reveal lights. I turn off the room lights and just use the two desk lamps, at about 2 o'clock and 8 o'clock on the coins. Sometimes I move that around depending on the coin.

I have the camera on a tripod about a foot above the coin.

Then I edit those images in Fireworks (lesser known Photoshop-like program) to make sure every quarter I upload is the same pixel size, for example.

It's a simple set up, no lightboxes or fancy stands or lights. Literally spent $10 each on the desk lamps at Target. But it works for me.