• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1889 US Gold 2.5 QUARTER EAGLE - CORONET

15 posts in this topic

Hello gentlemen this is my first post here, been really thinking about it, don’t want to look like a clown right? I collect mainly to morgans & Piece Dollars but I got this at a little action house in Rosebud, TX paid 300.00. I been trying to grade it and came up with a ms-63, I can’t seem to find if they have any "vams", I am cherry picking my little hoard to do my first try at getting coins graded, never done it. I got 70 morgans now I just have to choice which ones to send. Do any Yall think it would be worth having this gold quarter eagle graded?

Thanks you friend

Dandy

Keep clowning around

C1gold1889quartereagle25-OBV.jpg

C1gold1889quartereagle25-REV.jpg

photos for me; are always are hard to interpret (in hand sight seen is usually better for me) and i am usually incorrect

but at first glance the color and surfaces are off based on the photos

i think the coin is no good

i hope i am totally wrong and it is a genuine philly mint product

I dbl checked and coin is not attracted to magnet, weight is 4.20gram and dia. is 17.77mm. About the color the color did come out different in pics using the usb microscope, just can’t get color right with it. Setup with Nikon coolpic digital camera, on tripod now seems to work much better

I don't have an 1889 quarter eagle, but here is a very high grade (MS-67) example you can use to compare the details with your piece. You will note that your piece shows weakness or a lack of definition on the highest points of the design. This is often the case when a counterfeiters uses copy dies. Your piece is not crisp and clear, and given that it is "mint state" it should be.

1907QuarterEagleO.jpg1907QuarterEagleR.jpg

This is the result of my first submissions ever for grading.

OW! Dang that hurts, worse than stubing your toe in the dark

1889 $2.5 NOT GENUINE

Yep, it doesn't surprise me, which is why I mentioned this in my initial response above!

If you cannot return the coin for your money back, I would love to buy it from you for my reference set. It's probably made of gold, so I'd pay you the bullion value for it.

Thanks.

photos for me; are always are hard to interpret (in hand sight seen is usually better for me) and i am usually incorrect

but at first glance the color and surfaces are off based on the photos

i think the coin is no good

i hope i am totally wrong and it is a genuine philly mint product

Nice observations

the biggest clue was the weight, it should only be 4.18 grams, and almost never over, they were quite particular about those things back then!