• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Anyone See These Canadian "Moon" Series Coins?

8 posts in this topic

buy what you like, that is what collecting is all about, the Moon is a Harsh Mistress that is primarily made if olivine, pyroxene, ilmenite, and plagioclase, what is not to like?

I kind of like the native american design, but I'm not digging the moon itself, nor the other designs (certainly not at that price level). The craters don't look like the actual ones on the moon - or am I mistaken?

Michael, you're right, the craters are not real. Nor are they the same between the moons. If they had consulted me, of course, besides getting a full set comped, I would've set 'em straight. ;)

I think that wouldhave been a selling point for me, if I was in the market. It's not that hard to reproduce the lunar surface features on a coin. Certainly, the approach they took with a bunch of random circles was pretty lazy.

Yeah, if $122 were the price for a, like, 1-3 oz silver coin, sure. But $9-10 of silver for $122 ... that's kinda ridiculous. Too bad it's a design I like. :(

I'm not sure. With a mintage of 7,500 it seems good. Like it was said its up to the buyer and how much you want to spend on it. jmo

Small mintages are the RCM's specialty these days. As the Franklin Mint proved in the 1970s, small mintages do not necessarily a good bargain make.