• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Coin Photographers, Dealers, Private sellers and Ebay Sellers

7 posts in this topic

I starting a website, where it will be a list of verified and trusted services; dealers, ebay sellers and coin photographers. I Know when i started collecting (seriously) i didn't know who and where to buy from because, because some scumbags will overcharge you, scam you or send you fake coins. This website will have listed all the people, websites etc.. that is trusted. A user will type in the persons name, ebay seller id or website and it will tell them if they are verified. People can also leave reviews on that persons page.

i have very little i can throw into this site, because i haven't done business with allot of people, only a select few. (i.e teletrade and fairtraderz on ebay)

Any one care to add to my list of trusted sources?

Sorry brother but it sounds like you are starting a buisness on a shaky model. You are trying to sell information, that by your own admission, you don't have. To add to the problem, you are short on funds in an industry that usually takes years to turn a profit.

I think you need to forget about 'sources' and find something you can present.

Don't mean to rain on your fire but you wanted an opinion.

I don't see where he is starting a business or where he doesn't have money? He is trying to put together a resource site where collectors can go to find out information on who they can buy from and not get ripped off...?

He says he has very little to put into this...i.e....very little information since he hasn't done a lot of business with folks on the net...I don't believe he is stating he has very little money.

Context clues my friends...they can be your friend lol

On the other hand james has a valid point (thumbs u

Will you have a mechanism for keeping out shills, and to keep scammers from adding themselves to the list?

Yes, i will be the only one adding entries to the list. Either i have to buy something from them and take to product to a local dealer to have it inspected or they would have to have a good; solid reputation among the numismatic community.

I don't see where he is starting a business or where he doesn't have money? He is trying to put together a resource site where collectors can go to find out information on who they can buy from and not get ripped off...?

He says he has very little to put into this...i.e....very little information since he hasn't done a lot of business with folks on the net...I don't believe he is stating he has very little money.

Context clues my friends...they can be your friend lol

On the other hand james has a valid point (thumbs u

Correct. i haven't done allot of business with other folks, only a select few that i'm comfortable with. Another site i'm on, people knows i'm a collector and i always get messaged about "where the best place to buy coins" etc..

I Have other sites that make me a good living now. Money wouldn't be the issue to start it up. I'm looking for private sellers, dealers, ebay sellers, auctions, coin photographers that you can vouch for. People looking for other information pertaining to coin collecting will be redirected here.

The people added will be given a verification number (00-000-000), that they can give to their buyers or host the seal on their website so the buyer can check by typing in in the verification number or the business/persons name or clicking the seal and seeing if they are in good standing with numismatic community; read reviews etc..

This type of site would be wonderful if it was truly possible. There is not only one problem, but there would be many preventing this site from reaching its goal of becoming accepted as a respectable verification method for sellers, photographers and the like. It would be quite different if a group of numismatists with 30 to 40 years experience in the market place where forming a consortium of information gatherers and espousers, but as you say, you are inexperienced and without the knowledge needed to even begin such an endeavor. Imagine if you tried to begin an organization such as CAC with the same credentials--Ain't gonna happen. Not that it isn't a great idea truthfully needed, just you do not appear to have the ability nor credentials to pull it off. Best of luck, but please do not spend a lot of money trying to get this off the ground unless some people with the knowledge and experience should come along to give the endeavor credence.

Jim