• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Taking a break

5 posts in this topic

21st Century Type Set -- complete for now...

I have been putting a lot of my energy (and expendable income) into completing the best 21st Century Type Set I can. Afters today's addition, I think it will have to rest for a while. My pocketbook insists on it...

I'll keep this post short and sweet. Of the four Presidential Dollars released this year, the Ulysses Grant dollar is arguably the most recognizable face and most well known of the four (Andrew Johnson, Rutherford Hayes, and James Garfield being the other 3). With that being said, I could not pass up a recent addition to my 21st Century Set (and at the same time to my 2011 Mint set).

I added to my collection the only two Ulysses Grant dollars graded MS69 so far by NGC or PCGS. One is the 2011-P, the other the 2011-D. After getting them both in hand, the 2011-D is the nicer of the two, with essentially no abrasion marks and with beautifully detailed devices. Below is the small version, and as usual I will attach a larger version on the Chat boards. You can see both coins in my 2011 Mint Set.

I hope everyone is having a good week so far.

Cheers!

-Brandon

8977.jpg

See more journals by brg5658

Just another picture. It is very uncommon to find a business strike Presidential Dollar that does not have any bag marks or dings on the forehead of the design. This is a beauty!

112898.jpg.93d86d5bccd19ff7bcbb692c65d651b4.jpg

Beautiful pictures as always Brandon and a solid coin. I just can't feeling sad though that the lack of detail on all the Presidential Dollars make them look more like tokens than actual coins of the realm. The Grant Half Dollar, for all its faults is a much more satisfying portrait.

112900.jpeg.4180b3deecc85cab28db4bb4ab9bfc4a.jpeg

I have to agree with you Malcolm. Most of the Presidential Dollar coins have the "Spaghetti Hair" syndrome alla Washington Quarters 1995-2009.

Of interest, apparently the 1870s and 1880s were hot "beard years". We have Grant, Hayes, and Garfield all sporting the facial coif. :signofftopic:

-Brandon