• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

HAPPY FATHERS DAY, HERMAN!!! posted by DM Merrill Associates, Inc.

2 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

Break Out The Gold Coins

As I've stated in previous journals, Dad was not a numismatist; nor did he have an interest in coins. Dad had an interest in MY coins. He would sit with me and view coins that I brought home, for hours on end. He was genuinely interested because his son was interested.

Whenever I shared my gold coins with him, Dad's eyes would light up. He loved the look of gold. Being a child of the depression, Dad didn't have much contact with the precious metal. I could tell that he loved looking at and holding these coins.

So, tonight, I'll poor two glasses of good Kentucky Bourbon; pull out the gold coins that I brought home from the safe deposit box; and Dad and I will share a few laughs. Hell, maybe I'll even light a cigar for us!

Happy Fathers Day, Dad! Let's break out the gold!!!

See more journals by DM Merrill Associates, Inc.

Hey DM..it's good to see you posting more often again.

What a great way to celebrate your father and remembrance of days gone by. For me it was a day spent fishing on the bay ( Chesapeake). As a kid my father would drag me down to Point Lookout almost every summer weekend. As busy as it was during the day with fishermen, crabbers and beachgoers--in the evening and night it was mostly just me and my dad sitting by the lantern light and watching the rods in quiet companionship. As I got older it was during one of these quiet nights fishing that my dad finally told me some of the horrid details of things he had seen and done during his two tours overseas at war. If he wasn't my biggest hero before then, he surely was afterwards........