• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is It Twisted Thinking? posted by Jackson

7 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

hoping my perspective is not skewed.....

I'll keep this one short........ I visited the Stacks-Bowers webpage on Thursday evening when I got home to see if I had won a coin that I had put a healthy bid on. I see 1945-D Walker MS67's here and there, it is not a conditional rarity at MS67. This coin though is not your average 67 ( at least for the "look" that I like in a Walker). Bold strike, satiny luster and just a bit of rainbow around the rims-- a unique coin that stands out from the dozens and dozens of blast white ones. ( I like blast white also but I try and find "unique" coins that stand out).

Well the internet bidding had ended earlier and the floor bidding had just finished-- I HAD WON !! but here's the best part, ...I actually won for almost $500 less than my max bid !!! ( and if someone here was the consignor, then I apologize for my exuberance).

Soooooo..what does a true coin nut do when he wins a coin for $500 less than he was willing to pay? Why of course he simply starts looking through the lots whose bidding hasn't closed yet ! Yep, that $500 in my twisted thinking was money I could buy another coin with--not $500 saved. Funny thing is, I ended up spending more than $500 because I won a $10 gold eagle coronet head in MS62 for my gold type set. In my mind and twisted thinking I won that coin for only $220+ fees because the first $500 was "house money".... now is this twisted thinking or have any of you done the same. Maybe it's just me and I should get some help.........

Here's the obverse of my 1945-D Walker MS67...

8957.jpg

See more journals by Jackson

I usually follow the same line of thinking you do. Also, ALL coin sales I make over eBay count as "house money" in my mind. I bought the coins long ago, that money was gone at that point. I enjoyed them, and now I'm ready to sell them. Try this with any other hobby and you'd be lucky to get back pennies on the dollar. Coins *usually* appreciate in my experience. So, I just turn around and have more fun with that money when I do make a sale... I can't wait to start using the Market Place here to trade, so we can all save the eBay fees. =)

Also, congrats on your auction win, that is one fine looking coin.

Yep, certifiable, you like most of us here are collectors to the bone. What you have done makes perfect sense to me, as I have been known to have done it from time to time. Crazy collectors! Yep I would have it no other way! Help? Who needs help? Good pick-ups!

Gary

Jackson,

That is a sweet looking walker and the coronet is probably sweet also.

At one time in collecting I thought I was nuts and needed help. I then figured I could find all the coins I wanted (without help). And now I have everything under my control. :)

Later--- Rick

It's only twisted if you aren't a collector. As a fellow collector and one that has faced this same decision, pulling the same trigger, I say that you are completely normal (thumbs u

I kind of did the same thing but from another endeavour. I was pricing a tattoo and when I got to my 3rd shop, the price was 100.00 less than either of the other two shops so I did the Tattoo there than immediately ran to my local coin shop, Carlsbad Coins, and spent the whole 100 plus a couple of more bucks for two Walking Liberty Halves, in NGC slabs.

I have also been selling my comic book related stuff for years, most of that also gets plowed into the collection. Found Money Jackson, like you said.\

BTW, that Walker is a beauty.