• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1864 Small Motto in FULL BLAZING RED MINT STATE...Do they exist?

15 posts in this topic

I checked Heritage for MS63 and higher RED examples that have sold. NONE OF THEM are what I call full red...they are all Red Brown in my eyes...unless I missed something. Tops the the devices are always Brown at minimum. I check the registry sets(here and ATS)...I saw a 64RD listed but no pic. I also saw a 66RD listed with photo and maybe it is the nicest coin in the world but it sure as heck was NOT RED in my eyes. The POPS say they exist in MS 63RD and higher ...so there are some coins labeled as RED but I have not seen any that are REALLY FULL RED.

Can anyone post a pic of a full blazer RED 1864 Small Motto in MS63 or Higher? Heck, let's just open this up to ANY FULL RED BLAZER 2-Cent Piece in Mint State.

Please educate me a little on the series. Is it just this date or all dates? Thanks in advance for the education!

I have seen a few over the years, which were about as fully red as some of the common dates can be found.

Many, if not most of the "RD" examples of various dates I have seen, appear "RB" to me. Of course, in most cases there is no way to know if they looked that way when they were encapsulated.

So, if I were to ever buy a nice MS example then it would only make sense, to me at least, to purchase a very nice RB example rather waste a TON of cash on a RD coin that isn't red to begin with...it looks like I will be saving some cash in the future. The only people going after the coins LABELED RD should do so for the sake of a Registry Competition I guess....since the label means absolutely ZERO from what I can tell.

hm

Thanks Ray.

Someone posted this link ATS. Here is a very nice 1865 MS65 RD in case anyone is looking for one.

1865 MS65 RD

Still looking for an 1864 Small Motto in Red, if they exist...I have a feeling they don't.

So, if I were to ever buy a nice MS example then it would only make sense, to me at least, to purchase a very nice RB example rather waste a TON of cash on a RD coin that isn't red to begin with

NO QUESTION whatsoever. It's like many things in collecting coins. Don't waste a huge amount of money on the most infinitesimal difference in grade or appearance. I would much rather have a superb 89% red RB than a 90% red RD that costs ten times as much.

BKW, that is Beautiful!!! That is exactly what I am looking for in an 1864 Small Motto! WOWZERS!

I'm looking for a RD two cent type coin and I liked that coin alot. The price is no longer listed but I remember it being over what I wanted to spend. I'm more in the 65 RD price range. The big jump seems to be betwen 65 and 66.

Take a look here.... Small Motto, I believe the one pictured is a Large Motto.

It's not Small Motto. It's not the date KeyMan is looking for either but he opened it up to "ANY FULL RED BLAZER 2-Cent Piece in Mint State" so I thought I'd post it since it is a beautiful looking coin. I've bought stuff from J&H and their pics are very accurate.

So, if I were to ever buy a nice MS example then it would only make sense, to me at least, to purchase a very nice RB example rather waste a TON of cash on a RD coin that isn't red to begin with

NO QUESTION whatsoever. It's like many things in collecting coins. Don't waste a huge amount of money on the most infinitesimal difference in grade or appearance. I would much rather have a superb 89% red RB than a 90% red RD that costs ten times as much.

That's fine and dandy. But 1) many or most examples which have 89% red are labeled red, anyway, and 2) a common date MS65 "RD" example doesn't cost anywhere near 10 times what an MS65RB does. So, your comparison was unfair.