• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Arch, why do the boards break every morning?

41 posts in this topic

Just wondering - it seems like whenever I try to get on the boards between 4:30 and 5:30 am EST, they are broken. No amount of coaxing will get them to load. Any reason? I understand periodic maintenance, but what on earth could take an hour every morning?

What do you guys have to worry about .

For me in New Zealand , the problem usually kicks in at about 7.30 at night . Right when it's " Martins happy fun Free time "

Martin

If your still on here at 3 AM, when the bandwith is shortened, Arch is telling you to get a life.

I like to get on before I go to work in the morning (on the weeks I'm lucky enough to work a normal schedule).

Just guessing, but maybe that time is when backup is running? I know of several boards that slow to a crawl around midnight. I assumed backups were running.

MM

• Administrator

It's the nightly backup. It puts a heavy load on the server pulling the data in the database.

It is also when the guinea pigs sleep and cannot run on their little exercise wheels to generate power for the web server....

Just wondering - it seems like whenever I try to get on the boards between 4:30 and 5:30 am EST, they are broken. No amount of coaxing will get them to load. Any reason? I understand periodic maintenance, but what on earth could take an hour every morning?

It starts around 1:30 EST and lasts to 6:00 EST, sometimes 7:00 in the mornings.

It's the nightly backup. It puts a heavy load on the server pulling the data in the database.

Is there a way to fix it?

But of course. ;) What is the value added to additional costs? There in lies the dilemma that all companies have to deal with.

I truly don't believe the grading services realize how important their forums are. If people are like me, I was buying junk on eBay and other like sites, until I discovered a real "Coin Forum" like NGC. I learned about coins and started submitting said coins to the major grading services due to this fact.

I'll be honest and state that NGC is my Home Page. It really irks me when I can't log on to the forum when I want to day or night. That just sends me to other coin forums who are "open for business."

Something for NGC to think about. :)

Saturday morning - east coast time - they must have been sleeping late - I couldn't get on until 8:30am - don't they know that I'm up at 2am?

Chris

In all seriousness, you need a new backup system! Tape backup is very cheap and reliable.

In all seriousness, you need a new backup system! Tape backup is very cheap and reliable.

Tape backup is also very outdated. We quit using tape for customers several years back. Sequential hunting to restore one file is a real drag!

MM

Are you doing a full site backup? With the amount of traffic you get each day, it doesn't seem like it would take more than 10 minutes to backup all the new posts. Maybe do a full site backup much less frequently, and incremental backups in between.

We gave up on tape backup long ago....stuck to everything if the IT guys weren't careful. Sent the last cases of tape to the old farts' home so they could do "scrapbooking"

We gave up on tape backup long ago....stuck to everything if the IT guys weren't careful. Sent the last cases of tape to the old farts' home so they could do "scrapbooking"

What did you do with the tape dispensers?

Full or incremental backup?

For many databases, there is no such thing as "incremental". You back it all up or none....

MM

What did you do with the tape dispensers?

We had them made into park benches. But we don't have any parks here, so they are next to the tire salvage yard.