• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Curiousity Got the Best of Me

3 posts in this topic

And led to the utter Destruction of a very nice Pen Holder.

Friends, many years ago, when silver was in its absolute doldrums, I picked up a nice pen set at auction that contained two Morgan silver Dollars in a plexiglas frame. One morgan was displayed obverse-up and the other was reverse-up. all in all, a very attractive piece picked up for about 15 dollars.

Flash forward to today. For some reason, I decided to take the frame apart and find out the date and mintmark of each dollar. since they were clearly uncirculated, I also thought I might send them to NGC for slabbing,since they both appeared to be at least MS63. Well, getting the frame apart was very easy and the hidden side of each dollar were equally pristine except for a LARGE SQUARE of double-back tape on the back of each Dollar.

I'm sure the conservators at NCS could easily clean that up but the dollars are very common, 1882-S and 1888-P that it's not worth the expense. I think I'll just take them to my local coin dealer, when silver starts ins climb again, and cash them in for something interesting. I'll miss that Pen Set, it looked really nice sitting on my desk.

Happy Father's Day to all you Dads, soon-to-be Dads, and Dad-like

mentors. You all Rock!!

8942.JPG

See more journals by Beaw

Malcolm,

I'm surprised it took you as long as it did to tear this thing down and solve the year/mint mystery! I probably would have dismantled it immediately. I guess it's not salvageable to put it back together?

-Brandon

Hey Brandon,

I actually thought the coins might have been one coin sawed in half, that was also part of the mystery I had to solve. That was also the reason it took so long for me to open it, since I didn't want to ruin a pretty pen holder over a mutilated Dollar.

The Holder was so old and brittle (I think it was from the 60's) that the screws holding the twin pens both busted.

Live and Learn.

(:

Malcolm