• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Where to get Affordable, but Genuine Ancient Roman Coins

6 posts in this topic

I'm a comic collector who has dove headfirst into studying the fall of the Roman Republic. As a result, I find myself suddenly interested in obtaining a couple of coins, preferably from that time period (Roughly 110 BC-27 BC).

From my experience with comics on eBay, I know not to trust all of the sellers' claims there, so I'm somewhat at a lost of where to go from here. Are counterfeit Roman coins common? How can I protect myself? And where can I buy a couple of affordable coins from this time period?

Condition is not too important to me. And if affordability requires it, I could be made to budge on the dates for the coins.

Thanks in advance.

Well, for all price ranges, vcoins.com would be your best bet. It is highly self policed, not just any dealer can be a member, you have to be vetted, and you can be assured what you are buying is authentic. You can search specifically for coins from the Roman Republic. For higher end coins, cng.com is an excellent source. Just having the CNG pedigree adds value to a coin. If I could recommend anything, and this is just my own opinon after collecting for 30 years, as with comics, you have some of the same issues with coins and I prefer coins that are uncleaned (not restored if you will), that have an attractive natural patina. Most serious collectors prefer uncleaned coins with a natural patina. But vcoins would be the place to start and to buy with peace of mind in regards to authenticity. Also, the market is REALLY down right now, so make an offer if you see anything you like. I'd recommend staying away from ebay until you become familar with your area of collecting. Fakes aren't nearly as bad as people say, but cleaning and tooling is an issue with mid to higher end pieces out there.

People will find it easier to answer your question if you let them know what "affordable" is for you. Are you talking under $20, $50, $100, $500, higher??

Thanks for your in-depth response, Thing. I'll try doing just that. For me, I don't really mind cleaning, so long as it isn't a fake. Low grade coins are fine for me. I just want to be able to give one to my good friend (and keep one for myself) and say with confidence that it really was from X time period of the Roman Republic/Empire. Resale value isn't really an issue.

RE: Conder101:

Honestly, I have a hard time answering the question as it depends on the quality of the piece. This would be strictly for my and my friend's enjoyment and not bought for resale. Good condition isn't necessary. Again, I just need confidence it was authenticly made in Rome. (And if I have to go later and into the Roman Empire, that'd be fine too).

To give you a better answer though, I probably wouldn't want to spend more than $50 per coin as this is just for a couple of people easily impressed by an old coin that's managed to survive for about 2000 years. But again, I guess if it was just an awesome piece from an amateur's perspective, then I could go higher.

You've received some very valid suggestions already. You might have some difficulty on VCoins at $50. Afterall, you want to be be able to see some details. If >2K years is important you'll almost have to stick with the Republic period. I'd go with just Roman and get an affordable iconographic coin from the later Empire - one that has a depiction of Romulus and Remus suckling on the She-Wolf. I would trust eBay IF you stick to popular Sellers, ones with high sales and high feedback ratings (>99%). They're easy to find. Search "Rome" for the words 'wolf' or 'Romulus' and you'll find examples that are authentic, reasonably priced, with plenty of selection.

www.Moneta-Coins.com

You've received some very valid suggestions already. You might have some difficulty on VCoins at $50. Afterall, you want to be be able to see some details. If >2K years is important you'll almost have to stick with the Republic period. I'd go with just Roman and get an affordable iconographic coin from the later Empire - one that has a depiction of Romulus and Remus suckling on the She-Wolf. I would trust eBay IF you stick to popular Sellers, ones with high sales and high feedback ratings (>99%). They're easy to find. Search "Rome" for the words 'wolf' or 'Romulus' and you'll find examples that are authentic, reasonably priced, with plenty of selection.

www.Moneta-Coins.com

From my collection...... I own several of the type

101642.jpg