• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A SET GOES BYE BYE

5 posts in this topic

A sacrifice to the Gods of Symmetry.

I eliminated the classic commemorative set from my list of competitive sets today. The set has been bothering me for awhile because I have no hope of ever completing it and because, for some strange reason, I am obsessed with the need to complete any sets I start. The coins, all of which I love, will remain in my general coin holdings, of course. I may try and put together some kind of Custom set with a few of them, we'll have to wait and see if that is feasible.

Sometimes being a collector is a burden but I wouldn't have it any other way.

Condinued success in all your Endeavours my Friends.

8937.jpg

See more journals by Beaw

Beaw,

I will offer up the President set all but 2 are First Day Issues. With over 12,000 points I will trade for a hand-full of Classic Commemorative coins. I like the set but am interested in others.

Think about it, LATER----Rick

Rick,

Thanks for the offer but I am still very much attached to these commemoratives and will keep them in my collection unless something spectacular comes along. Hmm, maybe sell them all and buy the Hawaiian half. That is worth exploring.

Cheers,

Malcolm

112706.jpeg.31e5e8e28ec199b8ecf01af03043e1fd.jpeg

Hi Rick,

According to the Krause, the Hawaiian has a mintage of 10,008 and a value of around $7000 in MS65. That's a beauty!!! The Krause notes that because of the low mintage and value, counterfeits are more common than for most commemoratives.

There's one graded MS63 by PCGS on eBay now for $2800 and one from NGC graded MS63 for $3500. There's another for around $5000 listed, but from some unrecognizable "certification" company and graded (a highly doubtful) MS67.

There are also 5 currently listed on Heritage (ha.com) ranging in grade from MS60 to MS65 (one is "improperly cleaned").

-Brandon