• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

And so it begins...

11 posts in this topic

Seated/Standing/Walking, Capped/Draped, With/No, Small/Large, Arrows/Stars/Drapery/Rays

…and I thought 21st century coinage was getting out of hand with its varieties. Heh.

I recently started putting together a spreadsheet for a US Coinage Type Set. My goal is to collect one example of each and every US coin design throughout history, from its first year of issue for each design, in proof condition, if applicable.

Quite the challenge, indeed. But I want a big, lifetime, collecting goal. I love putting together my smaller thematic sets (Lincoln bicentennial coinage, Westward Journey coinage, etc), and will continue to do so, but this will be a grand set.

Also, instead of segregating coins into denomination, like NGC lists the US Coin Type Sets, I'm going to organize my custom set in chronological order, regardless of denomination, so it will truly be a walk through time in US coin design.

I will most likely start with modern coins and work my way back. A few quick, accessible and relatively inexpensive additions to the set will help get it rolling, then I can dig into the buried treasures of the past.

Wish me luck, then follow my progress here:

http://coins.www.collectors-society.com/WCM/CoinCustomSetView.aspx?s=6315

=)

You will be better off getting the older coins first as they are generally rising quicker in price than say a Kennedy Half would be. Good luck!

You will be better off getting the older coins first as they are generally rising quicker in price than say a Kennedy Half would be. Good luck!
Do you have documentation to back up that assertion? I am under the impression that many (older) coins are selling at levels below (not above) their prices from a few years ago.

Alan, get a Dansco 7070 album.

I only buy NGC-graded coins. I know I'm paying a premium on every coin, but I'm not experienced enough to grade confidently... and there isn't a coin shop within an hour's drive from my house (stuck in rural Illinois), so I have to rely on online buying only, so even if I could grade, pictures lie. =(

Of course, my other option (if I wanted less-expensive raw coins) is to give my entire spreadsheet to Mark as a "want list" and let him do the leg work, but where's the fun in that?! =)

Alan, get a Dansco 7070 album.

I only buy NGC-graded coins. I know I'm paying a premium on every coin, but I'm not experienced enough to grade confidently... and there isn't a coin shop within an hour's drive from my house (stuck in rural Illinois), so I have to rely on online buying only, so even if I could grade, pictures lie. =(

Of course, my other option (if I wanted less-expensive raw coins) is to give my entire spreadsheet to Mark as a "want list" and let him do the leg work, but where's the fun in that?! =)

Alan, I think you are doing things right, e.g. if you don't feel comfortable grading then buy a slabbed coin that looks good to you for the grade. One thing, given that you are going for a TYPE set, don't get your knickers all in a knot about 1 specific coin. Take your time, as for Type coins, pretty much for every type out there, there is a large supply. There will ALWAYS be another one out there for you to purchase. If you miss on a (let's say) Draped Bust 1/2 c, maybe the next coin you'll stumble on for the same price will be a nice looking Barber dime in a higher grade.

Also, you are ABSOLUTELY correct about the most important aspect of this hobby, which is to have FUN!!! Do it your way, and have fun. Yes, you'll make some mistakes... we ALL do, but you'll enjoy the journey.

Since "proof" is not a condition, but a manufacturing process, that will be a difficult project.... :)

Since "proof" is not a condition, but a manufacturing process, that will be a difficult project.... :)

How would you more clearly state that sentence then? I think everyone knows what I mean. Digging through my Red Book now to see which designs were proof struck and which never were. Also, trying to decide personally if "prooflike" will fly in the set or not, as some of these proof coins will almost forever be out of my (financial) reach.

Do you have documentation to back up that assertion? I am under the impression that many (older) coins are selling at levels below (not above) their prices from a few years ago.

This sounds like the opportune time to buy, assuming that the buyer is willing to assume a little risk (i.e. those inherently tied to investments in general).

Find me early American nice looking halves and dollars for lower prices than 5 years ago. I am buying... Sure some coins have leveled off, but in general older coins are rising faster. Moderns might go up fast, but most all have come back down again. 1999 Proof Set, State quarters, etc etc... Not saying that all moderns right now are bad buys.... but I would keep those for last if you ask me.