• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Grapevine, Texas Coin Show Report

10 posts in this topic

So this is the first time for me at this show and being a smaller show (Listed at 70 dealers) I was unsure what to expect, but I was hoping for the best. I took off early this morning from my house as I had a 40 minute drive.

I got to the show at 10 or so. Parking lot was full, which was a good start. It meant people were there, now to see what kinda dealers were there. I walked in and paid the $3.00 Entry fee. I was also entered into the gold drawing. As soon as I walked in I noticed the floor was jammed with dealers. This was a good sign to me. (BTW the floor isles were jammed with people and nearly bumping into people)

I was on assignment from a local dealer to hunt out coins, swap, and trade. I had gone with some cash and a 3 pieces to trade.

I started hunting around to see what I could find. I had money to spend and seeing if I could help a dealer friend of mine make a few bucks.

Right out of the gates I bought a PCGS MS61 common date morgan, which to me I could not tell why the hell it was in a 61 holder. Surely looked MS63 or so, but not worth it to resubmit as it was an 81-s. I started to field offers on the 2 large silver rounds I brought with me. 12oz and a 16oz. Dinner plate sized things. Nobody was getting at the numbers I needed. Sooo I put them away for a bit and kept hunting coins. Shortly after I ended up with a nice looking MS Walker. Likely a 64, but grades are always debatable. I would later pick up a killer MS 64 PL, so close to DMPL Morgan. Sweet coin and under priced if you ask me. I kept on moving around the room looking for deals, and coins to buy. I wound up buying a good few coins. Here are some of the highlights...

1929 - NGC MS64 QTR - Super Luster

1855 - AU55 QTR - Nice even dark tone and luster mixed in

1834 - $5 Gold - VF condition

1862 - PCGS AU58 1 Cent. I like this better than many MS coins I looked at.

1899-0 - MS63 - Morgan - End Roll Toner and a super buy if you ask me.

First Gen Green Label with Kennedy Sample Slab.

1855 1 Cent - which is one of the famous "ONE " Altered cents. Not a word I generally like, but I know people look for these.

1945 - Walker - MS64

1906 - D - AU55 QTR - Tougher date and hard to find in AU Anything...

Anyhow enough about the buying I did and back to the show. So I was able to finally sale my 2 large silver eagle coins. Which left me with 1 modern set, which had a gold piece in it. I had the set at $435.00 Which is not to high over melt. Nobody was biting, but I kept trying until I hit a dealer with who would trade me $435.00 on it... Happens I just had seen a dollar for about the same value marked in his case. I straight traded him for an 1860 O Seated dollar in XF. Nice original coin and a good deal for both of us.

Aside from buying I saw some super coins, which included a PCGS MS68 Morgan. Just a killer coin and rightfully so. 1938 PF 68 Walker - Old NGC No line Fatty, and toned! - High price, but it will find a home at some point. It is worth what he was asking. PCGS guide list the coin at 11K. He had his coin tagged far less than that.

As I walked the floor I saw many people that I knew. Some board members, like Frank, and others. I also seen many dealers that knew me etc.

Overall a damn good show for me, and loads of fun getting to be a buyer for a dealer. Grapevine for me was a smashing hit. Will you find 50,000 coins there? Maybe, but likely not many. Will you find good deals and lots of coins? Sure. I will be going back to this show in July.

I took my purchases back to the dealer who was very pleased to get these coins.

Overall day A+ for me.

Sounds like you had fun. But I'll have to say, some nerve posting a show report and no pictures ;)

Almost as bad as duplicate post

Haha, touche. The boards get really quirky around 4-5am, you never know what's going to happen.

Bruce, let me know the next time you're going to Grapevine, about an hour for me.

July there is another show. I will be heading out there then. I think it is the 29th and 30th. I will be there on Sat.

Sounds like you had fun. But I'll have to say, some nerve posting a show report and no pictures ;)

Sadly there will not be any photos from this show. I did not take my camera and all coins have been dropped off at the dealer already, but I will take my camera next time.

we're having a two day show in NOVEMBER. There will be dealers from all over the state there. Would love to have some of you guys come down.