• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NEW VAM found? posted by utah_ranch

2 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

1922 S Extra RAY

I purchased 4 rolls of BU peace dollars and doing research, looking through the loop and just gazing at these wonderfull dollars all in BU condition, great finds in Key dates.

So Im new to the whole VAM thing, went to VamWorld for info and pictures, as well as NGC variety plus page.

Out of the bunch so far I found 2 peice dollars that "may" be new discoveries, I dont know about VAM's, and being that vamworld now has this hard to get around WIKI thing going on I cant post or upload photos, Yes, I signed on/up and so on.

This one is the 1922-S, It looks to have an extra RAY above the Eagle, The other peice dollars I compared this to, do not have that ray. I will just do the S nmint as that the 1922-P shows the same ray, only wider. Your thoughts please.

RR

8924.JPG

See more journals by utah_ranch

While it would be hard to determine just which one it is from the picture provided, there are several "Clashed Spikes Eagle's Shoulder" varieties listed for the 1922-s. You would want to post full obverse and reverse pictures and a more detailed picture of the clash if possible.

For attribution:

First you would want to determine the reverse variety, whether Two or Three Mountain Peaks. The Three Mountain Peaks has an extra small peak to the right of the two larger ones.

From there, it would be a matter of comparing the exact orientation of the clashes along with any possible distinct "pick up points" to see which particular VAM you have. Sometimes you can scan the coin for PUPs then look at the varieties, but I find it easier to go variety to variety and try to find PUPs on the coin. This often more lengthy process is beneficial in my mind as it helps with the process of becoming more familiarized with PUPs of scarcer VAMs to recognize when VAM hunting.

Possibilities for your variety include:

1D, 1E1, 1E2, 1F, 1R, 1Y for Two Peaks and 2C1, 2C2, 2F, 2G, 2J, 2K, 2P, 2R for Three Peaks.

There is always a chance a coin is a new discovery but 9999/10000 the neat coin with distinct characteristics has already been attributed. There are still new discoveries happening every year however.

Good luck getting it sorted out!