• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

So-Called Dollars

7 posts in this topic

Post them if you got them. :)

I was born in Wisconsin so when I saw this piece I had to have it:

wiscmealobv.jpg

Img19045.jpg

Img19046.jpg

Quote from Hibler & Kappen:

Medal commemorates 100th anniversary as territory, not statehood, Wisconsin having been admitted to Union May 29, 1848. Legislature created Wisconsin Centennial Inc. 1933 with $500 appropriation, later increased. Celebration was state wide, highlight being presentation of pageant, "Centennial Cavalcade of Wisconsin," in stadium of University of Wisconsin, Madison, June 27-July 5, 1936; "witnessed by at least 75,000 spectators."

This was official medal, sponsored and designed by Commission, 1500 pieces struck in Bronze, sold for $1.

Obv. Capital building, clouds behind; at base on small ribbon 1936; smaller ediface to L; at base, on small ribbon 1836; above all, around Wisconsin Territorial Centennial; below all is prone animal (badger?) on dotted line.

Rev. Eagle in upper center panel; to L 19/ June / 27, to r. 36/ July/ 5' above at border Madison' below panel Official/Wisconsin/Centennial/Celebration; stars all around at border.

HK-696. Bronze Size 24. Very scarce.

Thought it was pretty cool that it was still in the original packaging also. :)