• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Need your thoughts on these raw Morgans.

13 posts in this topic

I'd give it a 65. There's a lack of heavy marks on her cheek, and everywhere else really, which is fantastic. However, I don't like the weaker strike of the New Orleans mint from this era so I'm not going with a 66 or higher.

There are no heavy marks, but there are frost breaks on the eagle's breast feathers and other minor marks. The 1885-O is a common date that comes fully struck. Not all New Orleans dollar issues were poor strikes. The "O mint" got it right in the mid 1880s.

The only way this coin is worth the cost of postage and slabbing is if it gets an MS-65. The Gray Sheet bids on this coin (which is the true market value of the piece) are $84 for MS-64 and $215 for MS-65.

My guess is 64 unless the luster is stunning and then it has a shot at 65.

It's one I would spend a few bucks on to find out.

The Gray Sheet bids on this coin (which is the true market value of the piece) are $84 for MS-64 and $215 for MS-65.

Yeah, and good luck getting those prices for this ultra-generic date. If forced to buy, I would pay about $70 and $185 respectively, hoping to dump them quickly, STILL at below sheet.

I do like the coin, and could see it at MS-64 very easily, and MS-65 possibly.

The Gray Sheet bids on this coin (which is the true market value of the piece) are $84 for MS-64 and $215 for MS-65.

Yeah, and good luck getting those prices for this ultra-generic date. If forced to buy, I would pay about $70 and $185 respectively, hoping to dump them quickly, STILL at below sheet.

I do like the coin, and could see it at MS-64 very easily, and MS-65 possibly.

That's why I used the phrase, "true market value of the piece.' In this case the Gray Sheet price is the retail price in many venues.

I appreciate you're thoughts, guys. I haven't used my 5 free submissions this year and am trying to decide. on a few raw Morgans. Will post some more later on. (thumbs u

I appreciate you're thoughts, guys. I haven't used my 5 free submissions this year and am trying to decide. on a few raw Morgans. Will post some more later on. (thumbs u

Since the grade is a freebee that will expire, it's okay to give it a try if you don't have anything else to send in for grading. I just would not spend the money to have this graded if the grading fee were out of pocket.

Since the grade is a freebee that will expire, it's okay to give it a try if you don't have anything else to send in for grading. I just would not spend the money to have this graded if the grading fee were out of pocket.

Thanks Bill appreciate your help. (thumbs u Relics I'll see if I can find them. :hi:

101_0035.jpg

101_0038.jpg

101_0037.jpg