• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rare Michigan Congdon Bros. Token

8 posts in this topic

Chelsea, Michigan Congdon Bros. Token ( 1861-1865 ) Congdon Brothers Dry Goods. F-175A-2a, Fuld Rarity -6 . I was recently informed the rarity factor for this token is being revised to R-7 .

This piece is Encapsulated and graded by NGC as an AU58 NR.

Copper. Merchants information on six lines. Rev. Federal style Eagle at the center, shield on breast, arrows and branch in claws. A. Gleason arch above , Hillsdale curves below, stars flank.

Personally, I think this piece was under graded. Tough to find examples this nice.

Asking Price $385 S & H incl. Firm. Item is now Sold.

Thank you.

112484.jpg.f85f07ecf9bc4a2d1b73a10a193380c2.jpg

112485.jpg.85de182bf24e25a47a1d678ba6076ee2.jpg

Some background. In 1831, Nathan and Darius Pierce, brothers from Ontario, New York, traveled to the Michigan territory and purchased some several hundred acres in Sylvan and Lima townships. By 1832, Nathan settled in Pierceville, near the intersection of what is known as today as M-52 and old US 12. He received a land grant deed from President Andrew Jackson for 400 acres in 1833. The home he built around 1832 stands today at 14300 Old US-12. Nathan's settlement flourished with a blacksmith shop,post office, general store and a Doctor, who actually made home visits. At the same time, brother Darius founded Kedron, which was at the N.E. end of present day Chelsea by Letts Creek and Freer Road. The small hamlet flourished as we;; with a blacksmith shop,post office, and a store. Darius would own 650 acres by 1856 and both brothers were instrumental in early local and state government.

Another set of brothers, Elisha and James Congdon, moved to the area from Connecticut and bought the land right in between the Pierce Brothers settlements, in 1834. Elisha bought 120 acres on the east side of Main st. and James bought 320 acres across the street on the west side and south. Records show that a third brother David also came to the area and purchased land that he later deeded over to James. The Congdon Brothers established their own village in 1834. It was first called Kedron, but later became Chelsea in 1850 when Elisha Congdon renamed it for his old home in Connecticut.

The first store built in Chelsea was by Elisha Congdon in 1849. The second, a blacksmith shop and a third, a hotel and saloon. Farmers settled in the area , and made Chelsea an agricultural force, becoming the largest produce market in the country.

The token presented is available for your consideration. Enjoy.

I find it disappointing that with all the NGC Forum Members, who profess an active interest in CWT's and Merchant Tokens, that this offering has received very limited attraction.

An asking price might elicit more interest :) !

Exactly! If you want offers, put it on ebay with a BIN and accept offers.

I find it disappointing that with all the NGC Forum Members, who profess an active interest in CWT's and Merchant Tokens, that this offering has received very limited attraction.

Stating how disappointed you are noone bought an unpriced item after 3 days won't draw any more attention to it....it'll probably work against you.

Lastly, this 'info' you received about it getting boosted from R-6 to R-7...what reputable token expert did this come from??? Big jump in rarity, without referring to where this info came from.

I can appreciate your suggested James. I had my reasons for only soliciting offers as opposed to listing an " Asking " price. It has all to do with one doing the leg work and research regarding buying Rare Coins, Medals and Token's. I gave sufficient background information with the hope that someone could and would be able to justify in their own minds, a fair offer. after doing a bit of investigation. Ah but we truly do live in a Fast Food World.

Understanding Rarity other than just knowing what that Factor numeral suggests, is quite a rare attribute, in and of itself.

What am I asking for this piece ? The answer is significantly less than what it would bring in an auction type venue for such Americana, roughly $550.00-$600.00

My Original Post now stands revised .

An asking price might elicit more interest :) !

Exactly! If you want offers, put it on ebay with a BIN and accept offers.

Stating how disappointed you are noone bought an unpriced item after 3 days won't draw any more attention to it....it'll probably work against you.

Lastly, this 'info' you received about it getting boosted from R-6 to R-7...what reputable token expert did this come from??? Big jump in rarity, without referring to where this info came from.

The reason I did not mention the source, is simply that it is still in a research phase , and unpublished . For now , go with the information as it is, R-6.

Have you ever taken time to research anything before you made an offer ? When you place you max bids on an auction, how do you arrive at that figure ? Doing you homework. Fair offers are reached the same way. It helps if you know something about what your making an offer on. Thats what I initially asked for .

I was hoping someone with a good working knowledge would take the opportunity, thats all. I had one response, to which I replied and gave my asking price to. He at least was upfront with his lack of experience and knowledge about these " Civil War" Merchant Tokens.

What am I asking for this piece ? The answer is significantly less than what it would bring in an auction type venue for such Americana, roughly $550.00-$600.00

The advantage of at least giving a ballpark is that now, I can forward a link to at least a couple of friends who might be interested :) . They would not even look without the enticement of an "opening bid", so to speak lol .