• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guess the Grade of this Civil War Token

10 posts in this topic

This is the only CWT that own and I found it at a local auction about 9 months ago. I like the military theme, that it is from the midwest, and that it was made during the Civil War. Something possessed me to send it in to be graded (I paid about $90 for it) and I've received it back from NGC yesterday.

I'm curious as to what you think based upon the pics (and yes I know that grading from pics is at best an educated guess). The coin has more orange versus the yellowish tint that these Todd Pollock pics show:

I want to align your opinion against what I estimated it would grade and then reveal what NGC had to say. Thanks in advance for any opinions posted!

22.jpg

I don't know how to grade tokens but that one looks sweet and says UNC.

Graded like a coin, I'd guess AU50.

I would say MS-63, R&B, but they might have viewed the dull spot on the cheek as wear. In that case it would be called AU-58. I'll go with the Mint State grade, however.

I had anticipated a 64 given very few marks and decent luster. Yes, there is a very tiny scratch on the cheek.

The grade assigned was MS63 BN. My take was that it had insufficient luster for NGC to give a higher grade. The prominence of the carbon spot may have been another factor, but to me that really is insignificant.

Do they grade CWT tokens more stringently that mint issued coins?

I had anticipated a 64 given very few marks and decent luster. Yes, there is a very tiny scratch on the cheek.

The grade assigned was MS63 BN. My take was that it had insufficient luster for NGC to give a higher grade. The prominence of the carbon spot may have been another factor, but to me that really is insignificant.

I would have said MS63 and perhaps MS 62 because of the reasons you state.

Lack of luster and what appears to me....at least in the image, it looks like to have a few rubs

on the high spots. These are available in well struck, lots of luster, high grades.

It is a nice one though.

In general, I think they are a little more liberally graded than one might expect. However, the images appear to show some noise on the cheek, which is what I referenced in my earlier guess of the same MS-63. And unfortunately, the carbon spot is a factor. In other words, had this been an Indian cent, I would have also guessed MS-63 based on those two reasons.

I would have said MS63 and perhaps MS 62 because of the reasons you state.

Lack of luster and what appears to me....at least in the image, it looks like to have a few rubs on the high spots. These are available in well struck, lots of luster, high grades.

It is a nice one though.

I agree as I would have called this a technical AU58 market graded as MS62 as I too see rub especially on the reverse wreath.