• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

No special coins were produced to support the military in WW-II

8 posts in this topic

But, two types of special US currency were issued.

"Yellow seal silver certificates in $1, $5 and $10 denominations were released for use of the military in North Africa and other combat areas on September 1, 1942. As of December 2, $128,804,000 had been printed with $68,340,000 sold to the Army, and just $520,000 bought by the Navy. Fifty million dollars were held in New York bending requisition, and $9,944,000 were kept at the Treasury in Washington."

These found ready use throughout the Mediterranean area and by late 1943 had become a nuisance often used in black market transactions.

Weren't the elimination of nickel in the 1942-1945 silver war nickels and the elimination of copper in the 1943 steel cents issued to support the war effort?

Perry, I believe the point he's making is that these bills were made for the specific purpose of use overseas. The Hawaii and North Africa notes.

I think you both are right. That type of currency was made for over sea's and yes the nickel was kept ouf for the war effer in nickels ( yes for the copper for 1943 ). I hope my understanding is right on this best wishes

The nickel and cent alloy changes were part of the war effort but no special designs of coin were adopted for domestic or invasion use. The two paper currency variations (yellow seal and Hawaii overprint) were intended for military use.

The nickel and cent alloy changes were part of the war effort but no special designs of coin were adopted for domestic or invasion use. The two paper currency variations (yellow seal and Hawaii overprint) were intended for military use.

I don't know why we would have expected the mint to do anything special to support the military men and women during World War II. The mint was out straight at the time with many of its experienced personnel in the military, not quite ready for prime time players taking their place and the entire operation pushed to limit to make coins for foreign governments. In addition the demand for domestic coins was higher than it been because war production that the economy moving.

As for the paper money I thought that reason for that was to mark it so that if our enemies got their hands on it because Hawaii or North Africa were to be overrun, we would be able to have citizens identify it as “not legal to use” because it had fallen into the wrong hands.

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

The altered paper currency was used in military theaters of operation, but it was not exclusively for military personnel. Civilians used the same currency, an example being the residents of the Hawaiian Islands. The whole purpose was to have a distintive currency that could be declared valueless in the event that significant quantities were captured by the enemy. Civilians legitimately holding these notes would, presumably, be able to exchange them for replacement currency, should such steps be necessary.

Fortunately, this never had to be put to the test, as American forces held onto all of the areas in which the special notes were issued. When it became evident that these areas would not be overrun, regular notes began to be issued in their place, and the special currency was withdrawn in the normal course of removing obsolete or excessively worn notes.

The elimination of copper from the cent in 43 and nickel from the five cent pieces was more of a physiological effort to encourage the use of substitutes, and conservation among the population than truly a significant release of "critical war materials" for the military. They could be pointed to as an example of how the government was "making do" for the military effort so could you do your part as well? The actual amount of "critical" copper and nickel released for the war effort was a miniscule fraction of what was needed and consumed. The metal released by the mint made no real difference. The entire amount of nickel released for the war nickels would have amounted to only 1,200 tons, probably not enough for the armor plate of a single battleship.