• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1998 and 2000 Type 2 Lincoln cents

9 posts in this topic

I have a question about these coins.

How did this error get made? Mistake or planned?

Any idea of mintage? I heard 10k of each.

Future value?

Thanks

It must be a difference in dies because there are a lot of the type 2 cents with the A & M in America touching at the bottom. The difference is miniscule.

As for future value it wouldn't seem to be high, sort of like the 7 different types of 1982 cents.

The difference:

The 1998 and 2000 type 2 lincoln cents (business strikes) have the same die strike image) as the lincoln proofs. (back, Lincoln memorial side)

The lincoln proofs and type 2 (bs) have what is called, by some, as the "wide AM"

This means that the A and M in America do not touch, while all Business strike lincoln have the A+M touching.

The second difference is that the image designers initials (fg) on the Proof and Type 2 lincolns are visably closer to the steps of the Lincoln memorial. The business strike lincolns have the initials visably further away from the side of the steps.

My question is, if the U.S. mint was producing,for example, the proof lincoln cents first, then changed the top die from 2000-s to 2000 (plain) (p), then forgot to change the bottom die (which is the proof image), then the Type 2 lincoln is the outcome. Oh I forgot. Here is my question: How did the U.S. mint go from a (s) San Francisco to a (plain) Philidelphia or vis versa from the same plant?

I have heard that the dealer who discovered the type 2 was from MA and bought a bulk bag containing 3000 of the type 2 lincolns. He is also responsible for getting the coin into the 2003 Redbook. His estimation of mintage is 10k, and an hight estimate at that.

The 1998+2000 type 2 lincoln cent is in the Redbook of coins 2003 and the value has been set at $35.00 for a ms65.

Does anyone have any kind of an explaination of how this proof lincoln memorial business strike cent got mistakenly manufactured or was it a planned error?

Thanks,

The mint has been doing some strange things with the proof and Business strike reverses for some time. The proof reverses occasionally "drift away" from being identical to the business strikes over a few years. Sometimes a proof die reverse will be used to strike BU coins. Sometimes this seems to occur only after the die is retired from use striking proofs. Other times it appears that the die was intended as a proof die and then "dressed" as a BU die. Some of the type 2's are quite PL.

Some more information I found on ebay.

The 2000-P Type II Lincoln Cent was first discovered in March of that same year. As far as can be determined, a mint technician working at the Philadelphia mint mistakingly replaced a damaged reverse die with that of a PROOF cent die.

BY OBSERVING THE ENCLOSED SCANS YOU WILL SEE THE STRIKING DIFFERENCE IN THE TWO COINS.

THE REGULAR COIN OR BUSINESS STRIKE AS IT IS MORE COMMONLY KNOWN SHOWS THE

"A AND M" IN THE WORD AMERICA AS "TOUCHING"

IN THE ERROR COIN YOU CAN CLEARLY SEE THE "A AND M" IN THE WORD AMERICA AS "SEPARATED".

Since their discovery, I have been a major supplier of this coin here on eBay, and now is the time to purchase these "SLEEPERS" BEFORE they take a dramatic rise in value.

With an estimated mintage of around 3,000 specimens, this will no doubt become a key vareity coin to the Lincoln series.

It seems the mintage must be far higher than 10,000 just judging from the numbers being reported found. The mint has long played around with proof reverse dies and this time they got caught. Some of the reverse varieties on the 70's and 80's quarters are probably related to the same thing.

There are WAY far more than 10,000 of these coins. Probably much closer to 5 million if not more. They are known in LDS, and there are at least 4 different dies responsible for striking them. Given the approximate die life for a Lincoln cent die striking zinc cents, 5 million would be a low estimate. Even at 5 million, however, that's still only one for every 1,000 coins minted overall. They are scarce, but very, very far from rare.

These coins were NOT made from dies prepared for proof mintage. There is NO evidence of the high sheen polishing performed on the proof dies, and there is NO evidence at all of the cameo finish that is always placed on the devices of proof dies. All of the coins I have examined with the memorial-F reverse (Type 2) dating 1998 and 2000 have completely normal business strike finish with completely normal business strike die flow characteristics. In all likelihood, an errant hub from the earlier years when this reverse was common found its way back into the die making process at the mint. This would have been pre-1993.

99.5% of what you are reading on eBay is from people who don't have a clue what they are talking about and are simply telling you what they want you to hear so you will buy their examples. I do not sell them, I study them. I have been in contact with 3 recognized authors on the subject and have spoken with a number of seasoned collectors who have studied them. What I say here is not to be taken 100% as gospel, there is still a lot of research to be done - but it can be counted on much more than eBay ads from novice sellers.

3,000, 10,000, 5,000,000

What ever the mintage, the 2003 redbook is telling us that this type 2 Lincoln cent

is worth 35.00 at MS65.

Somebody on ebay is selling the 2000 type 2 for 300.00 a roll. And icg MS67 at 49.95