• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

UNC Details grade

1 post in this topic

Hi: I recently submitted an 1869/69 Indian cent (brown, approx. MS-58 to 62) for

conserving to NCS. The coin came back looking beautiful, conserved from years of

storage in a pvc flip. RB, with toning brought out -- a gorgeous purple-green iridescence.

I asked that it be forwarded to NGC for grading, realizing I couldn't count on anything other than a guarantee of authenticity. It came back from NGC with a Details grade: UNC Altered Color. This is, of course, true. My question is, what have I got? Is this now a better-looking piece that no one will touch because of the details grade? I've seen NGC Altered Color Indians auctioned by reputable houses with their comments attributing what they think the grade should be. And, in fact, those coins brought prices close to what the grade might be expected to bring.

On the other hand, some dealers have told me they won't buy Altered Color coins, period. If I take the trouble to have the best conservation folks save the coin -- as

opposed to someone trying to do something with it in their kitchen with lemon juice

and olive oil -- what have I done? Killed the value, kept it the same, or enhanced it? If NGC won't give it a numerical grade, what was the point? By the way, the expense of having it conserved was not inconsequential. I thought I was doing the right thing. Any thoughts? Thanks!