• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Frans Hejda prototype nickel

13 posts in this topic

Ron, I believe that seller is BNB coins. If nothing else, it's way over priced.

Here's a link about one purchased in the UK.

http://www.cointalk.com/t159701/

Your correct in that it is over priced. I have one in my collection I purchased a few years back from Frank J. Colletti, who authored " A Guide Book Of The Official Red Book Of The United States Coins. My suggestion, is don't go near this piece at that price, in that condition. THe story goes that, in 1994 Stacks auctioned off two 11' uniface plasters models that were identifies from the designer Karel Hejda that had been submitted for the the 1938 competition. The plasters sold for $4,180. A european dealer purchased the plasters and had dies produced ( reduced) from them. There were roughly 2,000 pieces of proof quality, sterling silver strikes made in honor of the 60th anniversary of the 1938 competition and the dies were destroyed. The piece sold at Heritage ANA auction sold for $910.00.

This is a token made to catch a price from a sucker. A similar token could have been made for many of the 350+ designs submitted in the public competition – if the plaster models had survived.

Most of the models were destroyed because the contestants didn’t want them returned.

I knew it was our boy BNB but wasn't familiar with the design at all. I knew the good folks here would get me the down low :) Still up to his old tricks ;) Thanks for the background info it was very interesting.

Ron, I believe that seller is BNB coins. If nothing else, it's way over priced.

As soon as I saw the thread title, I knew it was his coin...he's had it up for a good long while now (at this price, it'll still be available when ebay shuts down for good). Though a seller can ask what he wants, it is way high. He changed his name due to past 'indiscretions', or 'mistakes', and is obviously trying to shake that old image. I do hope he learned some lessons......apparently one lesson he still needs to learn is that you don't have to make 10,000% profit on each coin you sell.

I, personally, think the original Felix Schlag design, which the Full Step Nickel Club had 1,938 sets made in .999 silver (1 Unc, 1 proof), slabbed by SEGS, is a much more attractive design, which you can view in this link to a thread ATS... http://forums.collectors.com/messageview.cfm?catid=26&threadid=818846&highlight_key=y But you can never seem to find them in sets any longer, and very infrequently, even individually. Scroll halfway down to see the image...too lazy to 'bucket it' and post it.

I've always thought that this was one of the most hideous submissions I had ever seen for a US coin. Thankfully, it did not get accepted.

It's quite obvious why this entry din't make " the cut " . That said, good or bad, it has it's place in Numismatic History. I remember this seller when he was BNB, and I wouldn't give him a plug nickel for that piece, for all the obvious reasons.

I've always thought that this was one of the most hideous submissions I had ever seen for a US coin. Thankfully, it did not get accepted.

Even more hideous than the accepted design?

…thought that this was one of the most hideous submissions ...

There were much worse designs submitted. The file is at NARA College Park, Md. You could spend a humorous afternoon looking at some of the remaining material. The Washington quarter file is similar in quality.

Even more hideous than the accepted design?

The accepted design, or the design as it was finally issued after the mint had Schlag make all the changes to it? (Which converted the reverse design into one VERY similar to a design submitted by a different artist, and completely unlike Schlag's "winning" design.)