• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Do ALL 1804 restrike large-cents show the obverse die crack? or is there an EDS

6 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

If you are referring to the arcing crack that runs through the date and to the border at 9 o'clock, that was present in the die when it was altered from 1803 to 1804. There is no die state without it on the 1804 cents, as the crack was already present when coining original cents dated 1803.

David, thanks. I knew that had to be the case, but wanted to make sure I wasn't suffering from Doritos deprivation or something.

I have an example with very little of the die-crack showing, and my first thought was that it had to be either an altered example, or a fake restrike(!).

My current theory, believe it or not, is that I have found an electrotype that was tooled, then plated to look like a real 1804 (with no die crack and the rust smoothed).... except the reverse is still the complete wrong type lol !

I have seen restrikes that have had just traces of the crack from having it tooled away.

That was my first suspicion, actually. But then I realized that the coin has a dull, leaden ring to it. Also, I believe I can see some inner core white metal poking through abraded areas, and these are the symptoms that led me to think the coin is a very odd electro.

These things were made from scrap mint dies that were in bad shape when the counterfeiters got a hold of it.

1804RestrikeCentO-1.jpg

1804RestrikeCentR-1.jpg

... a very odd electro ...

A copy of a counterfeit .... (shrug)