• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My first experiance with slabs and coin coservation

18 posts in this topic

Hello fellow collectors,

I made a journal the other day and for the life of me I cant figure out how to post it on the forums as well.

So I´m going to post some here in stead......

So my first patch of coins were sent from Iceland to NCG and I can honsestly say i´m pretty exited. I have been a avit none beliver in slabs and the TPG´s and I still think it has some down side to it. But I changed my mind due to the conservation and protection aspect of it. I´m even thinking about sending my collection of tokens from Iceland for conservation. They can not be slabed as they have been and will be used in showcases in museums but they do deserve to be sent to NCG for a touch up.

The whole process of joining NGC has been a good one, Not to complecated but sometimes I have gotten bit lost. Specially with shipping abroad to NGC with fedex. That one I had to ask for help but the help came fairly quickly.

The coins are still in NCG and I must say I check on the site every day to see the process. Some of these coins are rare with some samples so hard to find I´m not sure I would be able to do it again in my life time.

So with my fingers crossed I hope that everything goes well and my coins will be in my hands as soon as NCG/NGC have time to finish their work.

Best regards from Iceland

Siggi

I enjoyed your Post and comments.

The Museum aspect of the coin conservation choice you have made is very interesting to me.

Is this something that can not be done in Iceland, or by a neighboring Country, at a cheaper and less time-consuming method?

Yes, I understand that the Slab is not the issue.

So I conclude it is expertise that led you to send the historic coins to a U.S. based Conservation Company.

Welcome.

I will also assume for the moment that the coins are not in need of volcanic ash cleaning, and have reached U.S. Shores before yesterday..

It was also very respectful of your President to comment so kindly today concerning our Tornado victims.

Respectfully,

John Curlis

welcome to the boards siggi and i loved your post here (thumbs u

lets see more of your posts/threads and enjoy the forums!!!!!!!!!!!

hope you have great success with ngc!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Siggi,

Did you image the coins before you sent them to NCS? Before and after images are always interesting and allow others to make an informed judgement on the success, or lack there of, in the conservation process.

Thanks,

They have been shipped from NCS to NGC. Am I the only one or is it hard to find accrate turnaround times with NCS :) I dont mind if were 5 months but I would just like to know

Siggi

With NCS, it really depends on what is going on at any given time. Sometimes they don't have big jobs to do and they can turn around quicker, other times, they take on a big conservation job, then it is abit slower. But they conserve each example sent to them in line with when it arrives, no jumping the que so they say.

BTW, welcome to the boards, I love Iceland Siggi. The best lamb I ever had was in a restaurant on the waterfront at Husavik, the cuisine, art stores, and culture of Reykjavik make it one of my favorite European cities. And of course, the most stunning scenery one could ever imagine coupled with the amazing friendliness of the folks and their incredible history. (Okay it could rain a little less.....) I am now trying everything I can to get back in the near future, just a great place that I recommend to all of you out there.

Best, HT

You can't get accurate turn around times with any of the services. Sometimes they come faster, sometimes on time and sometimes MUCH longer than the listed times. Basically you make your submission and when it gets done it gets done. If people would accept that they'd stop driving themselves crazy running and checking their status every hour. (I'm not even sure why people do that. Why do you need to know what the "Gods" said about it as soon as they make the decision? Are you afraid it is going to change while it is in the mail to you? Or is it so you can list it on ebay as soon as possible to get rid of it? Maybe even have it sold before it even returns. Because if you are going to keep it the slab will say the same thing when it arrives, and in years to come as well. You're not going to keep checking the slab to make sure it hasn't change every hour are you?)

Thanks HT, :) I´m glad you liked our little country and I totaly agree on the lamb. And yes it could rain less I think no one would disagree on that one over here. If you ever decide to come back you can always give me a shout if you need any help or advice.

Conder101,

Why so sarcastic ?

If people like to look at the site 40 times a day it´s most likely because of excitement and couriosity. When it comes to US coins and the grading system i´m not all that suprized people do that. One grade up or down can make ones day or even year. I have a friend that has sent his whole collection to NGC and he´s like a boy at christmas when the grade is up on the site and then again when the coins arrive. And i´m sure he checks on the gems if they have changed in grade while stored in a box.........