• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is there a book on the original San Francisco Mint?

4 posts in this topic

I see books about the Carson City Mint by Rusty Goe and Doug Winter, but has anyone ever written one about the original San Francisco Mint (formerly the Assay Office)?

I have QDB's book on the Brother Jonathan, and it has some information. I'm looking for a description of its floor plan, the size, type and number of its appurtenances (e.g. foundry, coining presses).

Have you checked the Annual Reports of the Director of the Mint from the time period?

I haven't looked for any information about the first San Francisco Mint, but the Mint Reports of the time did contain information about the southern branch mints (usually in or about the year the branch mint was approved or opened), so there may be information about the SF Mint.

I would also suggest looking in QDB's "monster" book about the California Gold Rush.

Also, I dimly recall Oliver/Kelly working on something (perhaps just some articles) about the SF Mint.

You might want to send an inquiry to the editor of the E-Sylum to see what its readers can tell you.