• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is Bear on this forum?

113 posts in this topic

She was banned. She said some brutally honest things about PCGS grading, like their grading for St. Gaudens double eagles was all over the board, and she got the boot.

In a way that actually speaks volumes about some of the long-standing members over there who haven't yet been banned. ;)

It is possible to be opinionated yet play within the rules.

TomB is a good example of that. It is more difficult and challenging, but definitely possible (without compromising one's integrity).

Dear Laura, Many thanks for taking the time to make a substantial comment. I wish you'd share your ideas and opinions more often in this forum, where you'll be greatly appreciated for your knowledge, experience and the power of your ideas. Even those who might not agree with everything you write will be stimulated by your input, and this will be a plus for numismatics as a whole. (thumbs u

This is a thread I felt I must reply too.

Abe has been a long time customer of mine and has never, ever displayed 1/2 a % of the arrogant, obnoxious, demanding behavior that I see from so many of his fellow forum members. What I see written here several times in this thread says it all. And you better believe I was NOT the dealer Marguli was refering too (Abe made plenty of money off of what he bought from me).

I did go to bat for him with Don Willis. Don said he is on "time out". Don's reasoning for his purposes was defendable. I learned long ago its PCGS forum, if we do not like it, we can leave. I do believe Bear will be back, I hope he comes back.

Yes, bear got a little carried away in his writings? So? You do not have to read everything and comment. I know I read some threads and others I just passed by. You certainly do not have to take shots at him when he can not or will not defend himself. As for him not posting here-SO? I do not post here because I am simply a creature of habit and am used to PCGS. Stop with this Kool aid !

As far as Abe not knowing his coins-I think he does know more than most (but he is still just an ametuer, no where near a real pro-and he knows it). His posts are sincere and are there to really help. He DOES offer some good advice at times, so you have to weed through a little to get it. I laugh when the real egomanic collectors try to show off-and come off looking really stupid to those of us who do know. In my mind, Abe has never been that. To attack Bear for his recent posts, is lame in my book. You could have simply contacted the forum admin.

Last, I think you people take these forums too seriously. I love when people go on to say their "farewells" and they can't take it anymore and want to stop collecting. What a joke. You collect from the heart, not by befriending people who don't even tell you their real names on a chatroom. To let these places rule your hobby-thats pathetic and you should quit. To punch a person who's down-like Bear (abe) that just as pathetic.

Laura Sperber

Legend Numismatics

lsperber1@hotmail.com

She was banned. She said some brutally honest things about PCGS grading, like their grading for St. Gaudens double eagles was all over the board, and she got the boot.

In a way that actually speaks volumes about some of the long-standing members over there who haven't yet been banned. ;)

It is possible to be opinionated yet play within the rules.

TomB is a good example of that. It is more difficult and challenging, but definitely possible (without compromising one's integrity).

Yes, I agree, that's definitely true. As a matter of fact, I used to fancy myself as one of those types. :(

I own coins in PCGS and NGC holders (and others), and never feel the need to have absurdly slanted polls that reinforce how great my choices of plastic have been.

C'mon! You know as well as I do PCGS uses a HIGHER QUALITY plastic! High grade stuff for sure...it's even been approved by the Quality Plastic Council! :o

Although, collectors seem to pay premiums for the oddest things these days. Green stickers, Gold stickers, plus signs, Shields, Doily labels, Old green holder labels, stars, green clovers, blue diamonds. But ultimately, it's the QUALITY plastic that matters...remember that and you'll go far my friend...

jom

So what you are saying is... if I ever need to melt down my slabs into little bars of plastic, the (worship) PCGS ones will be worth more because their plastic is higher quality hm ?

I finally understand :grin: !

:roflmao:

[so what you are saying is... if I ever need to melt down my slabs into little bars of plastic, the (worship) PCGS ones will be worth more because their plastic is higher quality hm ?

Yep...it's true. It's a closely held secret. Although, after looking at the Stacks auction lots this morning I can't tell you how many scratched slabs I saw. I swear there wasn't ONE slab that didn't in some way impede looking at the coins. Seated Proof coins are practically impossible to view looking through this "quality" plastic...it gave me a headache.

jom

[so what you are saying is... if I ever need to melt down my slabs into little bars of plastic, the (worship) PCGS ones will be worth more because their plastic is higher quality hm ?

Yep...it's true. It's a closely held secret. Although, after looking at the Stacks auction lots this morning I can't tell you how many scratched slabs I saw. I swear there wasn't ONE slab that didn't in some way impede looking at the coins. Seated Proof coins are practically impossible to view looking through this "quality" plastic...it gave me a headache.

jom

Why do you need to view the coin when they tell you right on top what the grade is? Boy, aren't you fussy! :grin:

Yes, one of my pet peeves is scratched up slabs that make impossible to enjoy the coins. When I was dealer, there were a few coins I rejected because of the slab. I could see that the coin inside was nice, but the slab was a mess.

You can get coins re-holdered, but it’s really getting expensive when you add in the insurance and postage. At the 2010 winter FUN show I found a very attractive Louisiana Purchase McKinley gold dollar. It was in a PCGS MS-64 holder and the coin was a P-L with warm coppery toning. The trouble was the slab had had some sort of sticker put on it that had attacked the plastic and ruined the view of the coin. I bought the piece and rushed over to the PCGS booth to get it re-holdered.

It was too late in the show to get it done on site so I had pay for the postage ONE WAY. To make a long story short, the re-holdering, handling fee, PCGS surcharge, postage and insurance came to over $38. :o

That taugh me a lesson. The coin has to darn special for me to buy in a damaged holder and buy a new holder for it.

I will say that our hosts (NGC) are easier to work with in that regard. NGC re-holdered two coins for me on-site at the 2011 FUN show for just $20. There were no surcharges or handling fees. (thumbs u

BTW, I saw that Bear was reinstated ATS today.

He's probably under house arrest and the reason he isn't here is it's probably a violation of one of the terms in his parole agreement. :grin:

To the people on this thread that said Bear doesn't have an eye for coins:

Bear's coins

If that's not having an eye, then strike us all blind!

My knowledge of this bear character is limited exclusively to the discussion in this thread. But I'll say - them's some nice coins.

It was in a PCGS MS-64 holder and the coin was a P-L with warm coppery toning. The trouble was the slab had had some sort of sticker put on it that had attacked the plastic and ruined the view of the coin. I bought the piece and rushed over to the PCGS booth to get it re-holdered.

It was too late in the show to get it done on site so I had pay for the postage ONE WAY. To make a long story short, the re-holdering, handling fee, PCGS surcharge, postage and insurance came to over $38. :o

Someone put a sticker OVER the coin? lol That is just too funny. Genius!

Since I posted my last message I've seen even more screwed up slabs at the Heritage auction. IMO, viewing small coins (like yours) and proofs is futile. I had my halogen lamp with me and trying to figure out whether the lines I'm seeing are hairlines or the reflection of the slab is a pain is next to impossible. All the while my retina is being burned all to hell with the lamp brightness. Then comes the Excedrin..... :tonofbricks:

jom

Bear's coins

My knowledge of this bear character is limited exclusively to the discussion in this thread. But I'll say - them's some nice coins.

I like the Bust Half and the Seated Quarter!! :whee:

jom

Bear's coins

jom

You fool, the Seated Quarter doesn't have a CAC sticker. It's dreck. A widget. If it were nice for the grade it would already have a CAC sticker. In fact, if a coin does not have a CAC sticker it is because it has already been tried and rejected.

Bear's coins

After looking at these coins, I think those who said that Bear didn't have much of an eye and made bad buys were a bit off-base in their comments. Most of his coins are better than what I have in those slots.

Bear's coins

jom

You fool, the Seated Quarter doesn't have a CAC sticker. It's dreck. A widget. If it were nice for the grade it would already have a CAC sticker. In fact, if a coin does not have a CAC sticker it is because it has already been tried and rejected.

CAC you!

jom

Bear's coins

After looking at these coins, I think those who said that Bear didn't have much of an eye and made bad buys were a bit off-base in their comments. Most of his coins are better than what I have in those slots.

Granted, the rest of his collection might be different. We all have showcase coins, and we all have other coins....

Bear's coins

I set the coin gallery up for him. It is hosted on my site.I thought that it would be a nice place that he can have and others can go and visit his coins. I am truly amazed at what he has put together in such a short time and as I understand Laura of Legend had a large part in his decision making and is this is the case she has done an outstanding job in guiding bear.

His Legacy collection, if all goes as he plans should reap quite a handsome benefit for his son's and I hope he is permitted a long time to enjoy his collection for many years to come.

Stefanie

Stefanie.

You've done a bang-up job with his coins, great photo skills there for sure! Judging by your posts (and the name of your website), you do like to have fun collecting coins. To me, it's no longer fun when you feel you need 15 gold beans for each and every coin, plus full approval of every coin forum.

The coin in the thread below was once owned by Bear too, not bad for someone with 'no eyes'. It's now in my collection and one of the centerpieces.

1818 Bust half thread