• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is Bear on this forum?

113 posts in this topic

Many of you who visit the PCGS forum may know Bear to be a very knowledgable person with very informative posts. Apparently he was banned. Not sure if it is temporary or not. But its getting sickening the number of valuable members that are no longer allowed to post there. Due to this, I know many people who no longer bother visiting that board.

So I was wondering if anyone knows if Bear posts here.

AJ

I don't think Bear posts over here AJ and I agree the CU Boards have lost many valuable members. From what I gathered ATS, Bear has been suspended but not banned. I think he'll be back next month and hopefully hit the 40,000 post mark!

In my opinion, Bear is one of the biggest supporters of PCGS so it is a surprise to me

if he's been banned or suspended. Many times he would try to calm the storm when

some posts got out of hand. I hope he signs up over here.

What a few of us need to do is to ask Don Willis to have a sit down and get to meet the real person behind the keyboards.. I for one don't hate him, but don't understand his angle when he zaps a few or views someone's text in his final decisions.

Don was no angel when he posted pre "President" status on CU..

I for one am making more transactions for what happened to me ATS, and want to thank those responsible for this..

It still tickles me greatly, that there are a certain few that continue to get away with off topic and Bear wasn't one of them..

To Bear or any other person that have touched my life in many ways ATS, I will offer this, maybe CU brass should really remember where they started, understand a little humor goes a long way on any board including CU.

It's a play ground that seems tainted. I do have a few dollars also, by "God" I hope this is not the price for admission ATS. I believe strongly I could play in their sand pit if I was somewhat Plastic.. I am real as they come, my humor seems fair to all people, it is just a few that go out of their way to validate who plays in their house..

Welcome Bear when you do come here.. My coins and money spends just as good or better than it did ATS. George

Many of you who visit the PCGS forum may know Bear to be a very knowledgable person with very informative posts. Apparently he was banned. Not sure if it is temporary or not. But its getting sickening the number of valuable members that are no longer allowed to post there. Due to this, I know many people who no longer bother visiting that board.

So I was wondering if anyone knows if Bear posts here.

AJ

I know Bear to have a very high post count made up of posts of very little substance at best and complete drivel at worst. Post count does not equal knowledge or information.

He does not post here. He is a PCGS-only snob. That should tell you about his level of knowledge. Same for all PCGS-only (or NGC-only) snobs.

Also, this should be on the Numismatic General forum.

I must have missed all those posts that had so much knowledge.I think some of you have knowledge and nonsence mixed up:)

Hmm, sounds like another "ATS" thread, but heck, I'll bite.

Who, or what, is "Bear"?? CB slang for "cops"??

Trying to put this nicely.....

Bear is an old man who only posts ATS. A PCGS Kool-Aid guzzler. He has been there for maybe 10 years. He likes to talk about jelly donuts to the point where you want to jump thru the screen and snap his neck. He makes a ton of posts and a vast majority of them are not really coin related and if they are they are useless or wrong or common sense.

He honestly lacks a lot of knowledge about coins, but thinks otherwise and has foolded a lot of posters based on hi vast number of posts. This is to his detriment. He spends decent amounts of money on coins based on what he is told by dealers and not what he knows. At least he did. I think someone said he sold his collection.

I know of at least two dealers who are well regarded that took advantage of him several years ago, but he failed to realize it due to his lack of knowledge. I don't know if he still does business with them, but their names would shock you. One laughed to his partner about ripping him on a sale right in front of me (not knowing who I was or that I know who Bear was).

He seems to be a love him or hate him guy on the forums. If you want to know how many jelly donuts it would cost to buy a proof silver eagle, he's your type. If you want to know facts about an 1801 $10, he's not you type.

He seems to be a love him or hate him guy on the forums. If you want to know how many jelly donuts it would cost to buy a proof silver eagle, he's your type. If you want to know facts about an 1801 $10, he's not your type.

I'm glad I wasn't drinking anything when I read that last paragraph-- I would have shot coffee out my nose! (tsk)

I will be here more often now. I've been a regular ATS for over 3 years and was banned once myself. Got back on over there under a different screen name and have followed the rules more closely, especially lately!

The CU Boards are more active than NGC's but that could change......... : )

Bear is an old man who only posts ATS. A PCGS Kool-Aid guzzler. He has been there for maybe 10 years. He likes to talk about jelly donuts to the point where you want to jump thru the screen and snap his neck. He makes a ton of posts and a vast majority of them are not really coin related and if they are they are useless or wrong or common sense.

He honestly lacks a lot of knowledge about coins, but thinks otherwise and has foolded a lot of posters based on hi vast number of posts. This is to his detriment. He spends decent amounts of money on coins based on what he is told by dealers and not what he knows. At least he did. I think someone said he sold his collection.

I know of at least two dealers who are well regarded that took advantage of him several years ago, but he failed to realize it due to his lack of knowledge. I don't know if he still does business with them, but their names would shock you. One laughed to his partner about ripping him on a sale right in front of me (not knowing who I was or that I know who Bear was).

He seems to be a love him or hate him guy on the forums. If you want to know how many jelly donuts it would cost to buy a proof silver eagle, he's your type. If you want to know facts about an 1801 $10, he's not you type.

Oh man...you've had it in for this guy for years. I think it has been ever since one of those PCGS luncheons we had over at that hotel next to the LB show. I think it was the same one you spoke "frankly" with Miles Standish of PCGS. Bear had his coins with him and stuff....you came away unimpressed as I recall.

jom

Oh man...you've had it in for this guy for years. I think it has been ever since one of those PCGS luncheons we had over at that hotel next to the LB show. I think it was the same one you spoke "frankly" with Miles Standish of PCGS. Bear had his coins with him and stuff....you came away unimpressed as I recall.

jom

PCGS sprung for lunch AND gave us sample slab quarters. Ah, the memories... :cloud9:

From one of Bear's recent posts, he alluded to having what sounds like (possibly) a terminal illness. I also have never read anything posted by him derogatory of another person. I think some compassion toward the man is called for, even if many feel they have not "learned" anything from his many posts.

Sometimes it's the people who rub you the wrong way who teach you the most about yourself.

I know Bear to have a very high post count made up of posts of very little substance at best and complete drivel at worst. Post count does not equal knowledge or information.

He does not post here. He is a PCGS-only snob. That should tell you about his level of knowledge. Same for all PCGS-only (or NGC-only) snobs.

Also, this should be on the Numismatic General forum.

Wow you are so off its not even funny! He has been collecting longer than most and offers his wisdom. And when he does, people listen! Seriously, know what your talking about before opening your mouth.

Bear is a kindly, old fella with wonderful insights but he posts in simple, sometimes cryptic language.

To some it is tripe and a waste of bandwidth. To others, who've been around a while and come to understand how to interpret his messages, his advice is sage. He is a like a grandfather to many of us. You don't always understand him but you know you should listen and learn.

I am sorry to see him go ATS and I hope he appears here and shares more wisdom. Bear has a maturity and sensibility about coins and collecting that many of us won't have for a long time, if ever.

Lance.

Just unbelievable that PCGS banned Bear who had been posting there for ten years with over 39,800 messages, which is something more than 10 messages per day. His forum activity was a large part of his life during those years, and he was a most loyal contributor, getting ready to celebrate his forty-thousandth post. He'd recently been diagnosed with a terminal illness, maybe cancer. It seems that during the last few days before he was banned, he had increased his posting activity, possibly afraid his failing health might prevent him from reaching the 40,000 milestone.

Banning him at this time was like sticking a knife in his back, a spiteful reprehensible betrayal, a blight on PCGS and a blight on numismatics. There have been many atrocious and undeserved bannings by PCGS, and this is one of the very worst. It's downright disgusting.

I took a look ATS and noted someone had started a poll to see how many members felt Bear should be allowed back, or something to that effect, and shortly afterwards, the poll was deleted by the censor.

Just for the record, I never had contact of any kind with Bear, don't know his real name, and wasn't in agreement with some of his opinions. But he is a totally decent person who tried to boost numismatics, and he deserved genuine appreciation. His subtitle was Wise Old Bear.

I didn't realize Bear had a terminal illness and am saddened to hear the news. I use to greatly enjoy his posts ATS and did wonder what had happened when several off the wall threads were started by Bear last week - seemingly unrelated to numismatics.

The illness makes some sense of these posts as he was likely venting/grieving.

Sorry to hear about anyone being bammed (or timeout) ATS. It appears that being a die hard Kool-Aid drinker doesn't even count when it comes to DWs whims.

Bear will not post here because he is a Kool-Aid drinker who rarely (if ever) buys a coin unless it is in PCGS plastic. In my opinion his so-called wisdom and knowledge is very questionable. He has very limited views on collecting and his posts steer collectors in the wrong direction more often than not.

Did Realone vanish via the rapture hm

He was practically asking DW to impale him using SoCalMark's PCGS staff and septer avatar over this Bear thing. I think I saw in a OFR thread that "Otis" said Bear wasn't banned. I really don't know how the timeout or cooling off PCGS polcy works. MJ

Did Realone vanish via the rapture hm

I know what you're referring to. Member "Realone" started a PCGS thread titled "I love this place, but ..." which contained several of his messages interspersed with replies from others. The gist of his feelings was that the banning of Bear was like a final straw to him, and it made him feel disillusioned about numismatics to the point of not buying an expensive coin he wanted, a 5K coin. Also he said the iron fisted control of the forum was causing him great stress, and he might drop out, etc.

I saw that late last night, but today that entire thread is gone, deleted by the censors.

"Realone" had also started a second Bear thread titled "I am asking that the mods reconsider and to please bring good ole Bear back" where he said the banning was insensitive and unjustified That thread ran to at least three pages, and when I went to check it just this minute, it has also disappeared.