• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Research

13 posts in this topic

is so dang frustrating!!!!!!!!! As soon as I find the anwer to one question, two more come up. :frustrated:

But, I'm going to keep plugging along. :)

is so dang frustrating!!!!!!!!! As soon as I find the anwer to one question, two more come up. :frustrated:

Well, darn, Lee! Why didn't you ask? I could have given you the answer to the first question.

Chris

The beginning of research is getting the facts right (or at least finding out what your sources said).

Right now I'm transcribing newspaper reports, and it is slow work. The OCR programs make most of the articles into gibberish, and it takes a long time to refer back scans of the articles to make all the corrections.

Once I have the info I can start on the analysis!

Another interesting problem that comes up is when your best secondary literature contradicts other claims you have found. As they said in the Renaissance and Reformation, " Ad fontes! " (to the sources).

We have it easy compared to our forerunners in the research field. I just pulled up a book on Google that until recently I'd have had to have traveled quite a ways to get access to.

42 .. that's the only answer you need.

No... that's the meaning of life! :o

No, thats the answer to the meaning of life. But what is the question?

A small coup for me today:

In 1935, C. Frank Dunn, Secretary of the Daniel Boone Bicentennial Commission of Kentucky wrote as follows:

"By the way, the Daniel Boone Bicentennial Commission has just presented to President Roosevelt, through U. .S. Senator Alben W. Barkley, Coin No. 1 of our 1934 (the original) issue, and I have received a letter, personally signed by the President, in acknowledgement.

Coin No. 1 was “earmarked” for the President at the time our first coins were struck, by having the superintendent of the Philadelphia Mint place it in a sealed envelope, number it No. 1 and attest it on the envelope."

I have been able to locate this coin (the envelope has been lost) but an image of this example will be in my book when published.

:whee:

A small coup for me today:

In 1935, C. Frank Dunn, Secretary of the Daniel Boone Bicentennial Commission of Kentucky wrote as follows:

"By the way, the Daniel Boone Bicentennial Commission has just presented to President Roosevelt, through U. .S. Senator Alben W. Barkley, Coin No. 1 of our 1934 (the original) issue, and I have received a letter, personally signed by the President, in acknowledgement.

Coin No. 1 was “earmarked” for the President at the time our first coins were struck, by having the superintendent of the Philadelphia Mint place it in a sealed envelope, number it No. 1 and attest it on the envelope."

I have been able to locate this coin (the envelope has been lost) but an image of this example will be in my book when published.

:whee:

(thumbs u