• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Who Are The Experts

30 posts in this topic

in the series you collect? I think it's important for new, and not so new, collectors to have a resource of contacts for experts in their series of choice. Can be a Collector or Dealer. Please list here who you feel are the "Go To" people for factual information around your series of choice. :)

TIA

Since I'm an early commem collector, I'll start off with Bill Shamhart of Numismatic Americana. (thumbs u

Also, please state why you feel this way.

Bill has some original Chester Beach emphemera in his collection. How can a Commem collector not be a fan of his. :)

Bill has also been a involved in the series for many years.

Commems for me- My mentors Larry Shepherd and Gregg Bingham.

Toned Walkers- i wish i had somebody. I really do................MJ

Since I am just starting out, I am turning to everyone here for any help I need.

But when I start my long term plan, I will be looking to add Lee's book to my library.

(once he releases it of course)

JMPO, I think Mark Feld is a great resource for new collectors. He has an exceptional knowledge of different series, as well as the TPGs and their standards of grading.

JMPO, I think Mark Feld is a great resource for new collectors. He has an exceptional knowledge of different series, as well as the TPGs and their standards of grading.

Agree. MJ

Agree. MJ

I have to agree with that also.

Agree with everyone about Mark being a fantastic resource for new and seasoned coin collectors.

I would put TomB in there as an expert in early federal coinage, Barber half dollars, and really I would take his advice in any numismatic area.

I trust Greg’s thoughts and opinions on the market and to tell us what he sees whether his thoughts may be well received or not. I’ve always appreciated his candor.

Hoot was extremely knowledgeable about Buffalo and Jefferson nickels among other things.

Shane has a great deal of knowledge in the toned coin arena.

These are just my thoughts…

Agree. MJ

Agree. MJ

Ditto

James_Early is also a great source of knowledge. Although I'm not a dealer, I am an Indian Head Cent Enthusiast, and consider myself well versed in the ways of the chief. :whee:

Supertooth (Bob) has knowledge on par with anyone when it comes to Walking Liberty Half Dollars.

(One of the reasons I like Bob is, he will always get back to you with an answer)

Since I am just starting out, I am turning to everyone here for any help I need.

But when I start my long term plan, I will be looking to add Lee's book to my library(once he releases it of course.)

From one collector to another, Thank You! :)

Hoot was extremely knowledgeable about Buffalo and Jefferson nickels among other things.

These are just my thoughts…

(thumbs u

Hoot know's a little somthin, somthin, about early copper too. :)

For Franklin's, Rick Tomaska (but I wouldn't recommend buying anything from his overpriced and overhyped store) and Frank Chiong (who is not with us anymore, but his excellent series of posts is preserved on coinzip.com).

For Prooflikes..... there isn't anyone I know of that has (or is working on) a collection like mine.

For Bust Halves, the experts all hang out at coinzip.com, the John Reich Collectors Society, or the Bust Half Nut Club (and most of those places all have the same members).

There are experts in particular fields, and there are well-read collectors who know a lot about many areas.

I benefit from reading Conder101's, TomB's, BillJones', RWB's and a number of others' posts. And, yes, if you want a brutally frank overview of shows, dealers, and market conditions read gmarguli's posts.

In the field of trade dollars, I go to keoj and tradedollarnut.

Talked to Gregg today. Very smart guy not just about Commem's but the market in general. Spoke highly of you also. :)

Thanks all for sharing your thoughts. (thumbs u

I agree with everyone mentioned so far in the fact that they are top notch. :applause:

For me, I'm into Cameos.... so, by default the expert is......

Yep, you said it first..... Val J. Webb. He proceeded the Tomaska book by quite some time.

Then of course you have Rick Tomaska.

Personally I know a lot about cameos, but not near as much as many others.

For Roosies... we have our personal expert Jaime Ness.

Prooflikes.... I doubt anyone knows more than Jason Poe.

Vams.... Our own Chris M. is quite knowledgeable along with medals.

Toners... Well, we have Skyman and of course Shane.

Reasearch King.... RWB..... can anyone deny that?

I would have to say Bill Jones has more than his share of knowledge in 18th and early 19th century American coinage as well as presidential campaign memorabilia.

We also have a couple of error guys... I'd say Broadstruck knows a fair amount.

IHC's.... I believe it's been said, but Rick Snow and Charmy Harker.

Trade Dollars... who else but TDN?

Best eye.... I'd have to say Boiler.... his coins are just fabulous!

Talked to Gregg today. Very smart guy not just about Commem's but the market in general. Spoke highly of you also. :)

Thank you Lee, I needed that. I've had a tough week and that made me feel better. Gregg is smart and a warrior. A man's man as the ole saying goes.

MJ

Hello,

For anyone interested in gold coins I would highly recommend Doug Winter. His website ( Rare Gold Coins ) always has really nice, original gold coins for sale. But even more important for new collectors are the articles that Doug posts on his website. They are always filled with great information about collecting gold coins. He even has an archive that contains all the articles that he has written over the past few years. Another nice feature that he recently added to his website is Coinapedia, which contains pictures of many wonderful gold coins that he has recently sold. I would definitely check out his website and enjoy what it has to offer.

James_Early is also a great source of knowledge....

Agreed.

My collection is roughly half European and half United States, and I have learned much from James_EarlyUS descriptions in the Scotsman auction catalogs.

I won't go into my European experts as this is a US Coins thread, but several are here and they know who they are. :whistle:

in the series you collect? I think it's important for new, and not so new, collectors to have a resource of contacts for experts in their series of choice. Can be a Collector or Dealer. Please list here who you feel are the "Go To" people for factual information around your series of choice. :)

TIA

Since I'm an early commem collector, I'll start off with Bill Shamhart of Numismatic Americana. (thumbs u

Also, please state why you feel this way.

Bill has some original Chester Beach emphemera in his collection. How can a Commem collector not be a fan of his. :)

Bill has also been a involved in the series for many years.

I fully concur with your choice on Bill; but he knows more than just commems.

Good list so far. I'll add Chuck Daughtrey could probably be qualified as an expert based on his experience with Lincoln Cent varieties.

I'm in agreement with the General and Kurtdog. :)

Chuck is not just an expert on Lincoln Cents, but an amazing artist. I happen to own several of his prints:

Daughtry_Brenner.jpg

A nice article about Chuck can be found here:

Charles Daughtrey Article

Wow, Leeg, with talent like that, he ought to be engraving our coins! :)

Just as an aside, it's my understanding he's currently working hard on upgrading his website to include a feature whereby collectors can post their variety finds, the idea being, he can then be in a better position to track and classify them for us. Needless to say, I'm looking forward to the "grand opening."

As for numismatic sculptors – real professionals – Heidi Wastweet (www.wastweetstudio.com) is likely among the very best in the country. (She is also on the CCAC and a heck of a nice person.)

As for numismatic sculptors – real professionals – Heidi Wastweet (www.wastweetstudio.com) is likely among the very best in the country. (She is also on the CCAC and a heck of a nice person.)

Her work is only out done by her beauty. (thumbs uforbio_small.jpg

I'm in agreement with the General and Kurtdog. :)

Chuck is not just an expert on Lincoln Cents, but an amazing artist. I happen to own several of his prints:

Daughtry_Brenner.jpg

A nice article about Chuck can be found here:

Charles Daughtrey Article

My last name is Brenner, I wonder of we're related, lol!

(thumbs u

Becoming one of "The Lost Arts." :(