• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Star Rating, and it's premium...(link posted)

18 posts in this topic

say you have a coin that it worth $3900 in MS65, but has a Star grade next to it (NGC Holder). what kind of premium would that bring?

Impossible to tell. Wildly varying premiums based on the coin itself - there is no formula you can derive for the star.

Show us a picture of the coin in question, and we might be able to tell you more.

Ok, its a coin I was looking to buy. I cant copy the pic for some reason, so I'll post the link when I get back to my pc. It's actually an 1880-s ms68 star. NGC. I listed the other grade as a hypothetical.

cant tell from the photos but a wild guesstimate

$2000-2900 depending on how it looks in hand sight seen

as these are actual hammer prices of ms 68 ngc 1880-s morgans from heritage auctions recently

the high end price was another white ngc ms68 * 1880-s morgan dollar again heritage

It seems that the company that is auctioning this off on ebay doesn't have it listed on their site. They have some pretty super nice coins on their site. That leads me to believe that it's not as nice as the MS68 and star would lead you to believe or they'd have it highlighted on their site. Or maybe that's just me being cynical?

The images are deceptive (gee I wonder why), but I'll guess the reverse is PL, accounting for the "star". That brings a minimal premium in my book.

Looking at past auctions, a run-of-the-mill MS-68 Morgan dollar is worth $3000 retail, so I'd probably pay no more than $3500.

GORGEOUS COIN.... when they get to this level dont give it a star

just call it 68 or 69

I would love to see the notes when they graded this one

very curious to see why it did not make 69