• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I've made the move from Photoshop Elements to Adobe Lightroom

7 posts in this topic

I was using Photoshop Elements and being "cheap" I thought I was happy,

but I was missing the power and ease of use of Lightroom.

Now I am back to shooting RAW also.

I know some may say that they don't manipulate their images perhaps just cropping them,

but I think that photo-editing to mimic the look of the coin to its photo is the goal of numismatic photography,

and just using a photo out of the camera may not achieve that goal, so some editing is called for.

I was able to "upgrade Elements" to Lightroom for $99, so I went for it.

I still will need to use Elements to create circular crops and layered photos as Lightroom doens't do that.

And asides from numismatic photography, I have developed a real interest in photography in general.

Posted ATS also.

What advantages do you see in "Lightroom"?

Thanks.

The whole advantage of lightroom is to be able to edit photos before the are "loaded in" meaning you could edit off your CF card. Faster work rate if you do it right. Especially with raw images. Though I do not see too much use for lightroom and coins. There should not need to be much if any post editing. Sometimes a tad of contrast or color fix, or maybe a slight sharpening, but for me personally I do not see the use of lightroom with coin photos. Maybe it is just me. It does have some use however for sports photography.

What advantages do you see in "Lightroom"?

Thanks.

It is much easier to use than Photoshop IMO,

it really excels if you shoot in RAW

as there are sliders to adjust the

white balance, exposure, black levels, highlight control, fill light, sharpening,

allowing you to more accurately adjust the photos,

you can also use it for jpgs but RAW would give you more abilities

You can also do local adjustments of any of the above very easily with a "brush"

You can automate every aspect of your "photo workflow" from camera, card, and even shoot tethered to the camera so you see the photo immediately allowing you to adjust the lighting and exposure at the camera immediately

It cannot make a circular crop but I don't think you use that anyhow

It doesn't have layers so if you wanted to put the obverse/rev on one photo you can just make a side trip into photoshop and you will use those features there.

You can download a trial version which is good for a month

There is a $99 upgrade from Photoshop Elements to buy it.

I enjoyed a book by Scott Kelby teaching me how to use it

http://www.amazon.com/Photoshop-Lightroom-Digital-Photographers-Voices/dp/0321700910/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1305828240&sr=1-1

I actually just got a new camera and Amazon is offering me a $100 coupon for Lightroom after buying the camera. That knocks the Amazon price for Lightroom 3 down to $80. I'm starting to think I'll have to take them up on that coupon.

Odd that folks feel uneasy about post-processing adjustments when cameras do it for us all the time.

The goal should be to make the image realistic, whatever it takes.

Lance.

Odd that folks feel uneasy about post-processing adjustments when cameras do it for us all the time.

The goal should be to make the image realistic, whatever it takes.

Lance.

This is spot on. Most all good coin photos have some level of post editing. Yes mine included.