• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What's Your Thoughts On This Classic Commemorative?

15 posts in this topic

1936 Lynchburg Half Dollar. It is an issue that is tough to find with nice color. Not a favorite of most Classic Commemorative collectors.

19695045_obv.jpg

Sellers Image

Do you feel this example is worth a premium?

Some History:

An issue of souvenir half-dollars was authorized by Congress to commemorate the sesquicentennial of the issuance of a charter to the city of Lynchburg, Virginia, in 1786.

The models for this coin were prepared by Charles Keck, the designer of the Panama-Pacific gold dollar and the Bennington issue.

Charles_Keck_1945.jpg

Charles Keck in 1945

The Act authorized the issue of twenty thousand half-dollars; and in September, 1936, the Philadelphia Mint struck 20,013 coins. These were distributed by the Lynchburg Sesqui-Centennial Association at one dollar each. In view of the low issue price for a comparatively small authorization, the coins were quickly sold.

Obv. Bust of Senator Carter Glass of Virginia, facing left. Around upper circumference: UNITED STATES OF AMERICA In lower left field, in smaller letters: LIBERTY In center right field in two lines: IN GOD / WE TRUST At lower border, partly on shoulder of bust, in larger letters: CARTER GLASS.

Rev. Standing figure of Liberty, with hands outstretched in welcome. In background at right, the Monument Terrace and the old Lynchburg Courthouse. Directly in front of the Courthouse is the Confederate Monument. At left, in two lines: E – PLURIBUS / UNUM (S of PLURIBUS partly behind gown of Liberty). At left and right, divided by Liberty: 1786 – 1936 Around upper circumference in larger lettering: LYNCHBURG VIRGINIA – SESQUICENTENNIAL (I of SESQUI covered at base of hand of Liberty). In exergue: HALF DOLLAR

Edge: Reeded/30mm/Silver

Lettering: Roman

AN68504802-oz.jpg

An original holder of issue (five coins).

The portrait of Senator Glass, a native of Lynchburg, was placed upon this coin, despite his protests. Senator Glass had been Secretary of the Treasury in the

Wilson Administration and was aware of the unwritten law regarding the portraits of living men on the United States coinage. Newspaper reports claimed that he was unable to find any Treasury regulation which would dissuade the proponents from the idea. Because the honor this shown him was so well-deserved, the break with tradition did not meet with unfavorable criticism.

Enjoy. :)

copyright-symbol-300x300D.jpg

The rims look very dark and I would bet it has poor luster at least in that area. If you want one with light, lively toning give me a PM and I can get you in touch with someone.

To me it has really nice toning for a Lynchburg Comm. It has a few hits on the reverse but if the luster is there, I would pay a premium.

I've always liked the Reverse of the Lynchburg

and I have never seen one as heavily rim toned

as your example.

Thanks for sharing it. :takeit:

I would like to see it in hand, to get a true appreciation for the rim toning. Apart from that I like it!!

Oh and thanks for the history lesson Lee.

Coin arrived today and here are my images: :blush:

1936_Lynchburg_ObvB.jpg

This example has some "Pop" to it and with the right photographer, not me, a real looker in my opinion. Still deciding whether a premium price should be paid. :(

I like the overall look of the coin, even though the peripheral color is too dark for my taste. As such, I would figure it at roughly a 10-15% premium.

I REALLY LIKE it. It's one of the nicest that I've seen and the rim tone is symmetical and IMO not distracting at all. :applause: Very nice coin that is worth a moderate premium. WTG! I looks VERY frosty, too, which is another bonus.

Thanks all for your thoughts and comments. (thumbs u

I'll make a decison on this piece in the next day or two.

Seems to be a nice uncirculated example.

(The event commemorated had no national, or state significance. It was one of many abuses that led FDR to follow Hoover in opposing further commemorative coins.)

PS: Secretary Morgenthau had a type set of commemorative halves on display in his office. He purchased the coins individually from several dealers on the after-market.

Let's not forget that E. C. Glass co-authored the Glass-Stigall Act keeping banks out of the investment business. Many experts think that the repeal of this act laid the groundwork for the recent economic calamity.

I have one of these with a different toning pattern. I like Lee's and I like mine. It's just different. (after I made the photos, when looking at them I realized to my horror that there was PVC on the reverse. I cracked it and acetone'd it and now it's fine).

th_commLynchburgobv.jpg

th_commLynchburgrev.jpg