• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Black Coins. Your Thoughts?

38 posts in this topic

I don’t care for black silver coins at all. Black is the terminal stage of silver tarnish, and while it’s almost always very stable, it’s also very much akin to corrosion on silver. I won’t buy a black coin, even if it is a early piece that I need. It’s just not a state of preservation that I admire.

Although not the end of the world on a sub $50 coin...

When PCGS started G.O.'g HLRC had a killer struck ultimate FH 1919-D 25c that was lackluster black for about $2K. I looked at it for a moment as it was a mark-free UNC and a coin that would be about $35-40K if not dark & murky. However as neat as it was I quickly moved on as I felt a coin that dark would take a long time to find another collector to admire enough to write a check even if it was just for the FH.

As long as the luster isn't completely flat I like black coins.

You?

IMG_0002.jpg

IMG_0001-1.jpg

I'm not sure that coin looked like that when it went into the holder. It may have turned as a result of something that was used to dip it before it was graded. As a grader I'd never give a coin like that an MS-65.

I have a "Black" proof quarter... but it only looks black straight on. When you turn it in the light there are plenty of colors.... and therefore, I like it.... I suspect yours has the same characteristics.

I had a 1959 "Black Beauty" 1959 "Improperly Annealed" Jefferson nickel...it was fun at first, but I eventually grew tired of the color and eventually traded it for a much more desirable BU 1950-D

Once you black, you never go back! lol.

Not an appropriate comment.

As an african-american myself, I see no harm in it.

Of course it wouldn't be offensive, to you, but to me, I find it offensive....but this is not the place to get into a discussion about what is obviously implied by the comment itself. Doesn't take a brain surgeon to figure out what was implied, and it obviously has nothing to do with coins.

I'm not sure that coin looked like that when it went into the holder. It may have turned as a result of something that was used to dip it before it was graded. As a grader I'd never give a coin like that an MS-65.

I suspect you're correct. I think that is a coin NGC would like to get off the market.

TheMightyDuke your signature is offensive to me. It's way to long and I hate dogs.

Apparently it's within the rules, so learn to deal with it.....and whether you hate dogs or not, a tribute to one's best friend is within limitations....

I'm not letting you bait me into any further argument....you already lost one war.

[

Of course it wouldn't be offensive, to you, but to me, I find it offensive....but this is not the place to get into a discussion about what is obviously implied by the comment itself. Doesn't take a brain surgeon to figure out what was implied, and it obviously has nothing to do with coins.

Your pompous attitude is pathetic!

[

Explain what is pompous about it?????????

The original post that caused this thread to spiral out of control was pathetic, and not even on topic.

To me, I stay away from coins that look black when it would origionally be a silver or nickel color. My reasoning for that is that it reminds me of failed attempts to tone a coin using a high temp flame to heat the metal or the use of chemicals that reacted poorly to the coin itself. But thats just my standing on it.

-Chris#2

I have a totally black Liberty Nickel 1886, all the black coins I have examined had pitting and corrosion.

I like the washie though/

OP

I have a totally black Liberty Nickel 1886, all the black coins I have examined had pitting and corrosion.

I like the washie though/

OP

The pitting and corrosion problems are a part of what happens to copper-nickel coins like the 1886 Liberty Nickel that have "gone too far." "Bad" copper-nickel coins have turned black, and all of them are major problem coins. It's like a bronze or copper coin that has turned green. With silver it's not as bad, but I still don't want them. Black toned copper coins can be okay, but it's not as desirable as brown copper.

[

Explain what is pompous about it?????????

The original post that caused this thread to spiral out of control was pathetic, and not even on topic.

I agree - the post was way off topic and inappropriate.

is it totally black in a strong light?

It is a super deep, rich forest greenish/black when tilted under strong light.

I have a black and lustrous Peace dollar I just got back from PCGS two days ago.

I'll add photos of it soon and post.

I apologize. I was using a common phrase and attributed it to a coin. I am a fan of toned coins that are richly dark. Like how cobalt shimmers with a rainbow tone even though it's black. Therefore, they are one of my favorite varieties, and "I'll never go back" from liking them. I'm afraid you read too much into it, and I didn't mean to offend anyone with my comment on said variety with a slight overtone of adult humor. I honestly thought that being such an intelligent brood of collectors, everyone would get it-and perhaps even giggle to themselves. I once again apologize, next time I'll look for dust in the room before I begin to blow my hot air. :jokealert:

I don’t care for black silver coins at all. Black is the terminal stage of silver tarnish, and while it’s almost always very stable, it’s also very much akin to corrosion on silver. I won’t buy a black coin, even if it is a early piece that I need. It’s just not a state of preservation that I admire.
What Bill said.

Lance.

I do not like black toned coins. The toning has proceeded to a point where I consider it damage, just like corrosion or environmental damage. I will not buy a black coin (unless its iron...)

I apologize. I was using a common phrase and attributed it to a coin. I am a fan of toned coins that are richly dark. Like how cobalt shimmers with a rainbow tone even though it's black. Therefore, they are one of my favorite varieties, and "I'll never go back" from liking them. I'm afraid you read too much into it, and I didn't mean to offend anyone with my comment on said variety with a slight overtone of adult humor. I honestly thought that being such an intelligent brood of collectors, everyone would get it-and perhaps even giggle to themselves. I once again apologize, next time I'll look for dust in the room before I begin to blow my hot air. :jokealert:

Don't sweat it. Some people just get spun up easily. If the criteria for staying on topic was enforced, half of the posts on this board would be deleted. Some people prefere a cold stainless steel enviroment void of all humor and humorous comments and some prefer color.