• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

difference between zerbe die and zerbie proof morgan?

7 posts in this topic

What's the difference between zerbe die and zerbie proof morgan? neone? to see pics, just go to the "Hey Buddy, can you spare a grade?" thread for US coins.

Proofs and business strikes were produced from the same dies. So, theoretically, a Proof would be specially made, whereas a business strike would not. Personally speaking, I am unimpressed by most of the so-called Proofs I have seen.

The so-called "Zerbe proofs" are nothing but proof-like coins struck on a normal production press. There is absolutely no evidence of a connection with the nefarious Farran Zerbe, other than a hot-air story invented to jack up the price of a PL coin or two. They were not made to proof coin standards.

Many coins, both PL and non-PL, were struck from the same die pair.

The coins called “Chapman proofs” were struck on a medal press using properly polished dies and are very close to a typical 20th century Morgan proof in appearance. It is not known if they were made for Chapman or for collectors in general, but the first mention of them is in May 1922 by the Mint Collection Curator. The coins mentioned by the Curator were sold to the Connecticut State Library at face value – not for profit.

Thanks for the info. I think I'm gonna ship this one to NGC. I'm interested in seeing what they say in the variety dept.