• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

RE: This and That posted by davidk

3 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

Why or Why Not?

I think the reason they don't specify what the defect is that caused the not genuine grade is that they don't want the counterfeiters to know what to correct next time. I do think the honest need to know so they can know what to look for, but how do the honest get the info without telling the crook also. Which company made the mistake here, PCGS or NGC, that is also important to know. It seems that one of them has a grading problem or possible integrity issue. Every coin I've submitted that has a high dollar value always seems to come back a lower grade than expected, almost like they are protecting higher values for important clients. For example I submitted a 1995 W ASE that I compared at 30X with one graded at PR70 with no differences at all, mine came back a PR 69. Mind you I make a living as a quality inspector.

See more journals by davidk

I wish some investigative coin journalist would contact our member, get those two coins, send them to independent experts and find out the real deal. If NGC determined they were

not genuine and PCGS graded them MS63 then someone had a MASSIVE failure in their

grading protocols. I would tend to think the determination of non-genuine would hold slightly more weight since that kind of determination might require a little extra effort while

giving a coin a quick look-see and slapping an MS63 grade would require hardly any effort

at all. Just a thought.

Good Night to you All.