• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A Zerbe, or not a Zerbe, that is the question....

4 posts in this topic

I was looking through a new beckett of morgans I bought at an auction, and this 1921 jumped out at me. Something looked different. Perhaps it was the extra ring around the obv. I wasn't used to seeing. Also the fact that this coin had an unusually high satiny luster got me to do more research. I think I may have found a Zerbe. What do you guys think? Grade? I found this description on the net @ Zerbe info "

I brightened up a pic or two to help see the die marks

Breen offered some die characteristics of the Zerbe strikings, but be wary, as circulation strikes also exist from these dies:

"Obv. Small die scratch up to r. from left tip of serif of left upright of second U in UNUM to border. Left base of first 1 above center of dentil, r. base of second 1 slightly r. of left edge. Central details far sharper than on regular uncirculated pieces. Rev. Very faint recutting visible on left upright of T in UNITED. Horizontal die file marks plainly within ribbon bows and at left and right of them; vertical die file marks at inner berries nearest to left base of N and T in UNITED. Eagle's breast feathers unusually sharp. Brilliant proofs as in 1904 and earlier years, carelessly made..."

_MG_1662.jpg_MG_1663.jpg_MG_1666.jpg_MG_1668.jpg_MG_1674.jpg_MG_1625.jpg_MG_1615.jpg_MG_1610b.jpg

Here's another angle of the reverse. The head on shot was too bright

_MG_1603.jpg

_MG_1601b.jpg

I know these are a lot of pics, a probably big on your screen. I'm sorry!

Two Proof versions of the 1921 Morgan Dollar were struck, both apparently at the request of individuals outside the Mint.

The first version, known as the "Zerbe" Proof, was struck for the noted numismatist, Farran Zerbe, who supposedly had a fit when the new Silver Dollars of 1921 turned out to be a resurrection of the Morgan Dollar type instead of the new Peace Dollar type that he had promoted. The exact mintage is unknown but the figures bandied about in the past have ranged from a low of 20 to a high of 200.

The above is complete Bull S****.

What is a "beckett of morgans"...?

Surely you're not referring to the sports card price guide...

I'm sorry, I mean a binder with 20 coins per sheet. there's about 150 in the bunch. I must have drifted off to gradeschool when I collected sports cards, lol. There were a lot of 1921 morgans in it, and peace dollars. all common dates, but some in really nice condition. Bought them for silver value.