• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Care to guess the grade on an early Commem?

17 posts in this topic

The toning makes this a bear to grade, especially from a photo. (No pun intended!)

There might be a technical grade MS-65 under there, but for many collectors the heavy toning and "fly specs" in some spots is sort of toxic. I'd say say it's worth MS-63 to 64 money at best because of toning and spots.

Sorry, it could be anywhere from AU58 to MS67, based on those images. If forced to choose a number, however, I would go with MS66.

Sorry, it could be anywhere from AU58 to MS67, based on those images.

I agree but I really like the unique toning.

at least ms 66 * star

in hand might be ms 67

one of the few coins i see on the forums that i am almost sure about the grade

Thanks everyone... Here's another pic :)

50ij5e.jpg

Based on the additional image, I will narrow my original (AU58-MS67) guess range to MS65-MS66.

Thanks everyone as it's in an old ANACS white chase holder graded MS63. It has blinding luster like it's just came off the dies and it's totally original skinned. The obverse toning is blotchy which I guess is what net graded it since it's has no marks?

Also sorry for posting this here as I forgot there's a "hey buddy can you spare a grade forum" over here :blush:

Thanks everyone as it's in an old ANACS white chase holder graded MS63. It has blinding luster like it's just came off the dies and it's totally original skinned. The obverse toning is blotchy which I guess is what net graded it since it's has no marks?

Also sorry for posting this here as I forgot there's a "hey buddy can you spare a grade forum" over here :blush:

an interesting coin for sure

would love to see it in hand

with ms 63 anx you got nothing to lose to crack it and submit to ngc raw

Even though I guessed 65, I'm not surprised by 63, and not because the coin must look worse than the picture, either. I have a California in 63 that also has me scratching my head, because it is more attractive than I'd think a 63 would be -- no heavy marks, the marks on the devices are well camouflaged, and the fields are clean. I'd have to scrutinize these in grades ranging from 63 to 65 so that I can appreciate the difference better before I'd be comfortable buying anything higher than a 63.

california.jpg

A mark aren't the only thing that can prevent a high grade (and I'm not talking Mark Feld, either lol ). Your images must almost certainly hiding something else that factors into the grade, such as hairlines, poor luster, etc.

Or of course, may be the sub was in grading coins that day.